independant field data collector
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi I'm retiring from my job as a prison guard in a few more years and I'm wondering if there is any value to a HVAC buisness in jobbing work out to someone who gets certified with the EPA and who's primary job would be field survey and data collection duties. For example ...someone who does not require any medical, retirement or any benefits at all and who uses his own vehical if it benefits the company and who is dispatched to jobs for the purpose of strictly collecting field data ...Hi/low pressure, air temp. readings, liquid line/suction line temp. cond./evaporate conditions and what ever other data can assist the company in double checking quality control or determining priority and man power issues for work crew priorities in the field. And if it would be of benefit, what would be the fair wage for such work ?

I believe the position you are describing is called, “Go into the A/C business yourself, and do it better than the other guy”

All the data you have mentioned should be collected by the lead man on the job at commissioning time.

Originally posted by madeinusa
    All the data you have mentioned should be collected by the lead man on the job at commissioning time.
    What is this commissioning of which you speak?
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

For example ...someone who does not require any medical, retirement or any benefits at all and who uses his own vehical if it benefits the company and who is dispatched to jobs for the purpose of strictly collecting field data ...Hi/low pressure, air temp. readings, liquid line/suction line temp. cond./evaporate conditions and what ever other data can assist the company in double checking quality control or determining priority and man power issues for work crew priorities in the field.

In other words :

you want someone to work for you and pay him the absolute minimunm making him use his own vehicle to call on your customers---offer no benifits---so he (the tech) can gather all of the info needed to diagonse the problems for you.

then what? you get some x-felon to drive you around and fix the problems that you tell him to while you stand watch over him

you would be one hell of a guy to work for. You can always get a work crew from the prison to work at 50 cents a day and you wont have to paythem benifits either...you better stick with the state---you dont know how to treat people

I'm not talking about some one doing work for me ...I'm talking about me working for someone all ready in the buisness. I'm talking about some kind of nitch position with the company that does field survey work. Myself being retired dont need benefits ...I have them allready from the job I retired from. From the few replies Ive gotten on this subject I'm getting the impression that no its not something a busy HVAC company has any use for. It was just a thought.

Originally posted by trenton_guy
    the purpose of strictly collecting field data ...Hi/low pressure, air temp. readings, liquid line/suction line temp. cond./evaporate conditions and what ever other data can assist the company in double checking quality control or determining priority and man power issues for work crew priorities in the field. And if it would be of benefit, what would be the fair wage for such work ?
    I would try to add electronics/controls,airflow,ect.. to that list...

In hvac, a field data collector wouldn't be real usefull.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

In hvac, a field data collector wouldn't be real usefull.

a feild data collector wouldnt be real usefull anywhere but an insitution

I think the job you are looking for would be in air balance work. Before I became a contractor I did air balance for large comm. buildings... interesting work. It taught me how a/c is not just guess work but all in design.

you might think about becoming a independent home inspector, for when people buy and sell homes, they take various readings and collect data

Originally posted by 2cold4u
    I think the job you are looking for would be in air balance work. Before I became a contractor I did air balance for large comm. buildings... interesting work. It taught me how a/c is not just guess work but all in design.
    Have you crossed over the air balancing work into your contracting business?
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

you might think about becoming a independent home inspector, for when people buy and sell homes, they take various readings and collect data
    they lie and mislead people also and ill bet you are good at that

I have used my air balance knowledge in system design but the two fields (contractor & air balance) as a profession closely related take to much time. I need to get my jobs done as best as I can and go to the next. The type of balancing I did was very detailed and held to a high standard (AABC) You can't do both because of conflict of interest. In a way you can think of air balance the 'air police' because we found every defect in an installation. We knew the install better than the installing contractor. best job i ever had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast