+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Master reset on a Honeywell webstat

Post Likes

Master reset on a Honeywell webstat

We recently installed and configured a honeywell webstat which was working perfectly and could be accessed without issues on the LAN side. The customers' IT department was trying to get access to it over the WAN and ran into issues. In one of their attempts to figure it out, we think that they may have changed the ip address or subnet mask and now were completely locked out of the WebStat.

Is there a way to do a master reset on the webstat without using the serial system shell? we don't have a computer available with a RS-232 port.

Thanks,

Post Likes
    all i can find is a password reset, not a system restore, so to speak...
    When it is said that BacNet is a better protocol than LonWorks, I die a little more inside.
    ~knottyjabe

Post Likes
    If it uses a static IP address, then when it is running it will send out messages from its static address.

So plug it into a hub (not a router) and plug your computer into the hub as well. Launch wireshark, power up the router and read its IP address from the packets it sends.

Post Likes
    Thanks BACnet. I'll try that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by camacho View Post
    We recently installed and configured a honeywell webstat which was working perfectly and could be accessed without issues on the LAN side. The customers' IT department was trying to get access to it over the WAN and ran into issues. In one of their attempts to figure it out, we think that they may have changed the ip address or subnet mask and now were completely locked out of the WebStat.

Is there a way to do a master reset on the webstat without using the serial system shell? we don't have a computer available with a RS-232 port.

Thanks,
    use a usb to serial adaptor with a null modem serial cable to the webstat
    or you can use a program called filezilla ant ftp into the webstat and restart it

Post Likes
    bacnets idea will not work

Post Likes
    BACnet knows what he's talking about, TCP/IP basics.
    The WEBstat is a JACE-2, so yes, a null modem cable and hyperterminal will get you serial shell access where you can reset all of your IP settings.

In order to FTP in, you need a couple of things: a) the service must be enabled, b) you need to know the ip address.
    FTP is for transferring files, not restarting the platform. That's done on another port entirely (default 3011).

The issue here is that the ip and/or subnet mask were changed, so he can't get in at the previously known ip.

Another utility that has been talked about numerous time here is Colasoft's MAC scanner.

Post Likes
    I used an available computer with a RS-232 port and was able to get serial shell access to the WEBstat. During the boot sequence the TCP/IP network status was displayed and the netmask was displayed as 0xc0a80101 which is translated into 192.168.1.1. So it seems that they entered the Gateway address as the Subnet mask.

Now the problem i've ran into is I cant login into the system shell menu using the default login in credentials to change it. Does anyone know the which credentials it's looking for? The default Username SysAdmin and Password !Sys!Admin arent working.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Post Likes
    During boot up while in serial shell access mode there should be a prompt to reset the platform credentials to the factory default. I'm assuming you set the jumper for serial shell access.

Post Likes
    Ouch, that's quite a pickle!

I didn't know that they allowed netmask fields to take values other than 0 or 255. That last "1" is painful.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BACnet View Post

I didn't know that they allowed netmask fields to take values other than 0 or 255. That last "1" is painful.
    I think starting in AX 3.5 they do some sanity checks on those... ouch indeed

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by digo View Post
    During boot up while in serial shell access mode there should be a prompt to reset the platform credentials to the factory default. I'm assuming you set the jumper for serial shell access.
    I saw the prompt to reset the credentials to the factory default, but i still dont know what the default credentials are. They were never changed on the initial setup. I also tried tridium and niagara. didnt work either.
    Quote Originally Posted by BACnet View Post

I didn't think so either. You cant even change the mask those incorrect values in the TCP/IP settings on the PC.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by camacho View Post
    I saw the prompt to reset the credentials to the factory default, but i still dont know what the default credentials are. They were never changed on the initial setup. I also tried tridium and niagara. didnt work either.

I didn't think so either. You cant even change the mask those incorrect values in the TCP/IP settings on the PC.
    Did you try honeywell/webs?

Although I'm not sure what the webstats would be set to, are they considered WEBS or Comforpoint brand?

Post Likes
    Did you try honeywell/webs?

Although I'm not sure what the webstats would be set to, are they considered WEBS or Comforpoint brand?
    just tried it now. Didn't work either.

Post Likes
    SysAdmin/!Sys!Admin is the default username for the station, but who knows what HW might have set for the platform... since resetting the platform to the default did you try it again with the default mentioned above?

Post Likes
    SysAdmin/!Sys!Admin is the default username for the station, but who knows what HW might have set for the platform... since resetting the platform to the default did you try it again with the default mentioned above?
    I did. Tried that combination before and after i reset the platform.

Post Likes
    This is going to be tough for me to describe but i got it working.

I gave up on trying to log into the system shell because I was told that honeywell doesn't allow editing. which means finding out the login username and password was going to be next to impossible. So I went back to the trying to mess with what i do know. I knew what the IP address and incorrect subnet mask was from what was displayed on HyperTermninal during the webstat boot sequence.

So now with no other options to unbrick this thing i figured let me try to play around with the addressing on a PC to see if i can somehow initiate communication again. Now the subnet mask essentially tells the device what bits are the network address and what bits are the host. It pretty much tells whatever device it's on which other devices are in the same broadcast network. So i converted the addresses to binary.

IP address: 192.168.1.90 = 11000000.10101000.00000001.01011010
    Incorrect subnet mask - 192.168.1.1 = 11000000.10101000.00000001.00000001

compared the bits in the subnet mask and the IP address and figured that if i used a number that had the last bit (#2 bit) turned off I would be on the same network as the webstat so i picked 112 (01110000). I changed the IP address of the PC to 192.168.1.112 and still using the correct subnet mask (255.255.255.0) I was then able to ping the webstat, and thus connect to it via the browser.

thats the best i can explain it. it's still pretty confusing to me how it worked.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Well i seem to get myself in the same situation you were in with a webstat. The IT department of the company we are workin for told me that the subnet mask is 255.255.255.254 well that i found out does not work and he was wrong. the ip addres is 10.10.10.30 and i am trying to access it from my laptop. Please please please if you can walk me threw how to get into it again I will forever be in your debt.
    Last edited by leakcheck; 03-13-2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: mistyped

Post Likes
    So I have the T37501009 and I can't access the WebStat using the default username/password. We have accessed it via SSH, ran the restore factory defaults, and get to the login screen and try SysAdmin and !Sys!Admin and it says incorrect. We are running Niagara 3.4.43. We currently can't edit the day and the timing has jumped on the Tstat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in