I was accepted into the union as 5th year apprentice so I would only do 1 year of school than be at top pay scale. The difference between the salary and me on my own now as a one man show is about 15,000 but the benefits...pension,annuity, and dental/medical probably make that up. Plus with overtime I figure it will cut the difference as well. Plus in the long run probably less hours and less headaches as doing all the business crap paying taxes,insurance, etc.will be gone. Also it gives me a chance to expand my education as most of the work is comercial as opposed to residential which is where most of my experience is.

Only drawback is getting back into a 40 hr week.Although i am busy now I figure I probably have 180 days a year I do not work when business is slow.

Has anyone here closed their business to work for someone else?

I dont think I could do it
    It can be a pia to be selfemployed but to work for someone else again would put me right over the edge

Yes. I did. I sold my business and went to work for a union contractor. Made top buck and benefits. I never saw the boss. I got my pay check delivered to my house on the weekend along with the material order that I phoned into the shop. Who could ask for more???

I lasted 18 months before I started another business.

i have been a union man for going on 18 years. i am seriously considering making the move to self employment and i'll tell you why.
    i am saturated with incompetency.
    the apprentices only want to hide from work, and have no more interest in learning to make a living than the man in the moon.
    the mechanics aren't a whole lot better, and are complacent with no desire to advance past being a parts changer.yet they expect all of the benefits and treatment of the engineers.
    the engineers (mostly, some of them are excellent techs and continue to educate themselves) are big - headed and constantly remind anyone in listening distance of " all I do" and remind subordinates that " I forgot things you haven't learned yet." nothing to brag about by the way.
    the managers are lowest common denominator, innefectual, and rude on their best days. they reward incompetency and have little idea of where their bread is buttered.
    I am proud to be a union man because without them, we would only make enough money to go home and watch our families starve, and the companies would run off with ALL of the money. However they have been bastardized to respond to troublemakers and incompetents by closing ranks around them and shielding them from trouble.
    If you have the drive and the smarts go it alone. why share your talents and efforts to give someone else 50% of what you worked 100% of the time for. it's your back, your sweat, your talent. it should be your money.

Here is a different spin. First off. I did go back for a year, after 3 years on my own. It was a good company. Looking back I say that. At the time I thought they were a-holes. I got bored and frustrated on my own. Never really a money thing what so ever. So I go back working for someone. It was terrible. I had got too set in how I think the world should be. So now back on my own for a while now. Somewhere, somehow, I found some peace in my mind. There is no other for me. I must be my own boss. Now, although busier than before, more dollars passing through the bank, in and out mind you, I can deal with it so much better. Had I never experienced going back, I may never had underestood who I was.

You might need to do it to see who you are. Kapish?

dow, i am curious. What do you think the source of your boredom and frustration was? As i wrote I am seriously considering making the leap, but am wary of the pitfalls. Any insight?

i look at it this way. Since i still have a mortgage to pay and 2 kids and a wife(who doesnt work).I better stay with the steady paycheck. On your own is ok but, if you get a bunch of deadbeat customers who dont pay then you dont eat. I cant take the risk at this time.

I got fed up because I would make mistakes that would cost me money. Then bust my ass twice as hard to make up for it. It's no fast climb I can tell you that. Sometimes you make a buck, then next spend two bucks. I got fed up with chasing money. I got fed up with demanding people.

Bored cause I was only doing a certain area of the trade. I need interesting work to keep me going. All the money in the world don't replace my love for techncial and labor intensive challenge.

So I tryed again working for someone else. Union shop. You could not have said it any better in that post. I felt the same way. That got me more fed up than ever. Then, cause they didn't want a guru, who digs guru stuff, I got bored. So I go back on my own, this go round I knew what to expect, I learned to know when is when. I am cool as silk now. Got neat and challenging work, pays decent, back making my life the way I see it.

I may be the wrong guy in the world to ask. I don't know about you, but my wholelife since I was like 5, I wanted to do this. I wanted to emulate my dad.

The conclsion I have, that this is just who I am and this is what I do. It's a bit of peace for me, as I have been in that back and forth mode, just like your thinking right now. Stick to your business. Focus in on that. Only ofcourse, it's what you want. Ask yourself what you want then decide.

Im glad to here that everything is working out for you Dow, hired 2 more Techs since we last talked. Alot going on around here, this our bussiest summer yet. As for working for myself I dont think I would be able to do this unless it was for the money. The contractor that I work for is not what I would call large, but we have grown more than 100% in the last 3 months and there is no end in sight right now, everyone is a team player and I try to let them know this. This is something that I enjoy, when you have the right team to work with there is no job to big. So when I see some one like Dow who is self-employed I see a waste of talent, I can say this because I have meet Dow in-person . Dow you could be your own boss with in a corp. that you would have no ownership in, and make more than you could ever pay yourself, you have very good people skills and would make good manager
    Everyone has some one above them, even if you are self employed.
    I wouldnt want it any other way.