Thread: Trane XL19

Gotta do my friends new house(1st floor is 3000sf-2nd is 1200 sf) and wanted to know what ya'll think of Trane's XL19 units.System will be gas heat or should I go with a heat pump (Atlanta GA). I only do commercial work and not up to date on all the new resi stuff. I'd like to stick with Trane equipment. Give me the scoop on this stuff.

Exclamation GREAT Equipment Selection

Originally posted by Toocool
    Gotta do my friends new house
    ( 1st floor is 3000 sf-2nd is 1200 sf)
    and wanted to know what ya'll think of Trane's XL19 units. or should I go with a heat pump (Atlanta GA).
    I'd like to stick with Trane equipment.
    APPROXIMATELY 5-Ton & 2-Ton heat pumps
    would do well in Atlanta.

Tinted Windows
    Spray Foam are also well worth it
    to provide added comfort and REDUCED Load

http://www.zipfoam.com/solutions/index.html

5" of icynene = R-18
    http://www.icynene.com/Default.aspx?Page=163

Send floor plans and building characteristics
    to racingdan11 at comcast.net
    for formal Manual J & D designs.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Operating costs for heat pumps in Atlanta are pretty darn good lately, given how gas prices have been rising.

I'd go with heat pumps on both floors, or a heat pump upstairs and dual fuel downstairs. Steer them away from having gas just for heating water and cooking, though; you end up paying more for distribution than for the gas. If you're going to have gas service at all, you might as well use it for heating.

With dual fuel, it can work out well to get a nice 80% instead of a 90+% furnace, since the system won't burn all that much gas anyway for the ~12-14% efficiency difference to pay back. My dual fuel system really only burns a meaningful amount of gas in February, because even January and March are mild enough in Atlanta that the heat pump can handle most of the load. Make sure to use a dual fuel thermostat (VisionPro, Thermidistat, etc.) instead of a fossil fuel kit; it just works better.

Of course, you need a real load calc. There's way too many variables for rule of thumbing to be worthwhile. Oh, and try to keep the systems and the ductwork in conditioned space.

I can only speak to the XL19i cooling with strip heat. From a cooling perspective, it seems to do a better job then my neighbors 14 seer Carrier, and my other friends Lennox 14 seer. Coupled to a TWE airhandler you get some of the best dehumidification you can get. The XL19i has two compressors as compared to other manufacturers that use a two speed setup. Mine hardly ever goes to the larger compressor, and when it does does not stay on it very long.
    My electric bill has gone down significantly over my old Rheem 12 seer.
    I also like the quiteness of this unit. If you have the $$ I highly recommend this unit. Being in south FL. dehumidification is very importnat. In fact this unit dehumidiies so well, I keep my thermostat on 79, and anyone that comes into my home thinks I have the thermo turned down to low 70's.

Exclamation Author

Originally posted by kevinmac
    If you have the $$ I highly recommend this unit.
    Being in south FL. dehumidification is very important.

In fact this unit dehumidiies so well, I keep my thermostat on 79, and anyone that comes into my home thinks I have the thermo turned down to low 70's.
    I appreicate your info in a Very WELL Written post.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities