On saturday, I get sent to a service call. When I get there I find a central air unit that uses Amonia (R-717).

I talked to the house owner. I asked her what's the problem. She said that whenver she turns the A/C on, the air will come out cool at first, but then it would stop and the air would be warmer.

So I opened the system and check everything, and everything was fine. I started the machine and it started to work. I left and everything worked just fine. Now I get a call from her. She says the A/C doesn't work again. I asked her for how long had the A/C been running and she said that for one hour.

What could be the problem?? Do I need to get more information?? What's the info.??

I'll be glad if anyone would help me with this matter.

If it's an Arkla Serval

RUN!!!! I would assume that it's a gas fired unit, If so you need the Gages for Amonnia and the Manuel for the unit,or atleast the trouble shooting part. It will show the gages response to various problems on the sealed system, most likely a restriction on the sealed system, and they call it sealed for a good reason, a little frost bite from r-22 will feel good compared to letting alittle of the the r-717 out.

You can't mess with the sealed system because you don't have the steel manifold set, the manuals or the training. A little 717 will knock you on your a--.

Usually, the sealed system is fine though. Check the condenser fan. Make sure it isn't going off on thermal. Check the generator for a good flame. Make sure there aren't spiders and crap in the burners. There is a brine tank for anti-freeze and/or water, make sure the tank is filled to the marker. Check to make sure the brine pump is pumping brine, usually there is a flow switch. Arkla/Servels usually have a drive belt for the pump and some models have one for the solution pump as well(don't mess with the solution pump, it's part of the sealed system).Check the belts.

If you smell even a faint wiff of ammonia shut off the system and get away fast! I have seen the sealed system leak in these units. If the sealed system is bad, it probably is time to sell her a new electric unit, unless it is a unit built within the last 15 years.

If all that is OK then you'll have to find someone with experience on these monsters. They really aren't that bad once you get used to them.

Rob

Thanks a lot txvsrule