Thread: Cooling capacity.

Post Likes
    Hello all,
    I don't believe my ac is cooling correctly and I would like to hear your opinions. outside temp 95 vent temps 66
    return air at air handler 75 supply air at coil 60. Is 15 degrees appropriate across the coil?

This is a new 2 1/2 ton unit.

Post Likes
    In this weather, hot & humid, mine has been running about 15 degrees. When it dries up, hopefully the next couple of days, it will improve to 18-20.

Post Likes
    What's the relative humidity inside your house?

Post Likes
    55% r humidity. Could that cause cooling problems at the coil?

Post Likes
    I think the 15 degrees is about correct from what I've read around here.

The 66 degree vent temperature probably means that your ducts are in the attic or crawlspace and picking up excess heat.

Post Likes

Ducts

Ok, let's assume that the 6 degree loss from coil to difuser would substantially help (probably a safe assumption). I currently have 15 year old duct board with 15" flex runs off of it. (In hot attic) What suggestions would you make to regain that 6 degrees? I am willing to reduct.

Also I have 2 returns with temp 75 at grille and 75.5 at air handler. Flex Duct large, not sure of size. It looks to me like the return is not sucking attic air at all and they are slightly longer runs than the 66 degree supply.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in