What are the major benefits of a two stage furnace. Will I realize substantial energy savings? Does it run almost continuously to keep the house warm? Is it really worth the extra money?

I will install a 2 stage, variable speed furnace in my home when my 14 year old furnace gives me the slightest provocation (a repair costing 20.00 or more in parts cost). I live in North Texas, and I know that the benefits will be worth the extra cost. If I lived in Chicago, there would be no debate.
    Licensing laws are tough, and it's about time.

you will save a little money but the real benifits come from the comfort levels and how quiet the unit will be

a furnace is sized to keep your house warm on the coldest days so a single stage furnace comes on high every time
    most of the time you do not need that much heat

a 2 stage furnace will come on in the 1st stage most of the time and 2nd stage will come on when needed

you will not notice the furnace running most of the time and you will have a more even temp swing

I understand that 2 stage furnaces can be set to operate in a couple of different ways - with a sophisticated thermostat that asks for the correct level or timed operation in which it bumps up to stage 2 after 8-15 minutes of running at the low stage.

Does using the better thermostat provide much advantage?

agb and dsmith, do you live in Kansas? Just curious because I quoated one today.

I have the 2-stage, variable speed in my home and been very happy with it.

Like the other guys has said, it give you comfort in all the rooms with a softer heat out put on days where you don't need a blast of heat.

When we had our cold snap last Dec, night time lows into -20, system ran steady on 1st stage, and everyroom was even heat.. I am sure w/ the old 36 years old system, one room would of been blasting hot, and other would be cold.

The 2-stage t-stat are simple, just an extra wire is needed.. You can get a basic 2-stage no programable one..

Don't go w/ the timer on the system.k

Also, with the variable speed fan, it's also quiet when it's running 1st stage.

Nope Lynn - N. California, but it certainly set my mind at ease to have one of the quality pros on this forum do the work I will be needing.

with the cost of gas these days and everlasting to rise anything will help. the goverment will eventually mandate like everything else.

I would argue any efficiency or cost advantages to the two stage but comfort is a whole nuther ball game and frankly worth the additional cost of the installation.

Two stage machines will maintain a more even temperature in the home by longer run times at lower heat output. In the coldest of cold days, you want the full heat the furnace will offer but the majority of the days you dont need 100%. A single stage furnace will cycle on and off to supply you with the right amount of heat and the two stage will slow that nonsense.

Originally posted by agb
    Nope Lynn - N. California, but it certainly set my mind at ease to have one of the quality pros on this forum do the work I will be needing.
    I have my new VS 2 stage furnace picked out. Now with a screw driver and a hammer I'm sure I can find a crack in my furnace.

Originally posted by docholiday
    I would argue any efficiency or cost advantages to the two stage
    there is a small savings mostly on the electric due to the fact that variable speed blowers use less power

Originally posted by agb
    I understand that 2 stage furnaces can be set to operate in a couple of different ways - with a sophisticated thermostat that asks for the correct level or timed operation in which it bumps up to stage 2 after 8-15 minutes of running at the low stage.

Does using the better thermostat provide much advantage?
    Don't use a timed based thermostat. It's OK to have some time-based operation when recovering from a setback, but you want the furnace to switch back to low when the temperature nears the set point.

If it just runs low-high-off all the time, then you've lost most of the benefit of having a 2-stage, which is longer heating cycles on low that provide for quieter operation and more uniform temperatures in your home.