Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I just had a new AC condenser installed. I live in the northeast and we get a fair amount of snow in the winter. I'd like your opinion of the pros and cons of a winter cover for the unit. The unit is partially under a roof overhang but will still be exposed to snow. If I do put on a cover, I was planning to pull the service plug until I remove it in the spring. Is this OK to do?

Also, in the fall I have large oak trees that drop a lot of acorns and leaves. To prevent them from falling through the fan grating and ending up inside the unit, I was considering placing a piece of fiberglass window screen over the top of the grate secured with magnets. Is this a problem due to possible air flow restrictions?

Any other suggestions or alternatives would be welcome.

Cover the top of condensor with a piece of board in the winter time. Dont forget to take it off in the spring or your compressor will get damaged

leave disconnect switch in

Most of the time you can turn disconnect switch upside down to keep from loosing it

Agreed on only covering the top

And screen will probably blow off if attached with magnets but restrict air if mounted permanently

I would like to know the reasons to cover the top of the condenser. If it raines on it all summer and is exposed to the elements 4-6 months, what would be the benefit to the cover?

Just a question.

Mike

Yea, we have That problem with sunshine here,...Just to much, So When it get to be 8:00 PM, We Cover it up, we don't Want The dark to Mess It up to Much.....And 25$ Will Get You a coffee......Oh To have a problem like that
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

My concern would be the possibility of damage from snow and ice weight on the fan blades or the possibility of snow or ice falling off the roof above the unit.

Why cover a Car? it doesn't make sense, does it?

I suggest to customers to not cover the condensers. First, the unit is made to be outdoors, the snow is not going to hurt it. second, if moisture gets inside the cover somehow, then it will corrode the unit. Third, the cover makes for a nice dry area for the mice, who will nest in there and chew up all the wiring. Put an old doormat over the top of the condenser with a brick on the top. That's all it needs.

cover the top to keep out leaves, snow will not hurt unit.

You've just spent a lot of money on that beautiful condensing unit. Why not spend some more to keep it beautiful: http://www.accovers.com.

I made my own.

It didn't blow off at all last winter when we had a good wind.

Make sure you turn off the power to the unit so that way it won't be turn on if you have a warm spring day.

Most people up here cover it to keep the ice that hangs over the roof line from crashing into the fan/grill. I also have TONS of trees in the back yard so there lots of leaves.

[Edited by mayguy on 07-26-2005 at 11:24 PM]

Originally posted by holabr
    My concern .... possibility of snow or ice falling off the roof above the unit.
    Shame on the installer for putting it in harms way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast