Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    sucks that you always need half of everything on van to fix unit.get mexican to tote tools form you.

Kinda hard to tell from the pic, but I use LOTS of bags, SOME toolboxes, a belt, and buckets.

Different carriers for different items.

My main bag is a 14" Gatemouth by Bucket Boss.

You'll find most people that use the tool pouch slung over the shoulder were primary trade electricians... it's like a given... like full faced helmets on Japanese motorcycles....

But actually, you'll have to figure out the best approach on your own. As you can see, there are many ways with long term techs that often don't agree with methods by way of the telling... but they also know, not to argue the fact, because they found what works for them.

Me? I tend to subscribe to convenience. I have a tool bag that is too heavy, and often toss in the extra tools that I need for a particular situation. I always go in to the job first to 'scout it out'... and decide from my first visual... what I THINK I need... "THEN" I'll make the seventeen trips out to the truck to fetch what I need to make this job successful.

You are doing AWESOME... ASK first... THEN descide... once you've driven through all the drivel we older dogs give you....
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

I HAVE USED THEM ALL AND FOUND THE BUCKET W/BUCKET BOSS WORKS WELL WITH A LID. IT GIVES YOU A SEAT TO HELP WITH FATEGE.

I use a tool belt & pouch, have for 30 years. I wear the belt where it should be worn, not on my shoulder. I like to have my hand tools where I can get at them quickly. I don't even have to look when I grab a tool. I know exactly where it is in my pouch. I believe that the pouch saves time over anything else. I keep 90% of hand tools I need in pouch & even carry my meter on my belt too.
    Sometimes I have to take it off to get into tight places.
    As someone said, I started out as an electrician.

Originally posted by lynn rodenmayer
    Been through it all. Back to old trusty leather Kline electrician's bag. Used it for years and switched to all these verious bags and buckets. Way overloaded and my shoulder still hurts.

Now I use various bags for differant tasks. My Kline when I have to do repairs. One of those square bottom totes for AC tune ups and another for basic sheet metal tool. I have various tool boxes for electrical work and install pack.
    This is the general idea I found when I started that thread on what do you carry in your tool bags.

The smart one's here have transitioned from one main large bag over to several bags/ boxes/ totes which are more specialized.

if people take this "get organised" too far ... pretty soon you will find little carriers for your vacuum pump which will not only support the pump itself, but also the items you need WITH the pump / oil, special four valve manifold with braided hoses, micron gage, etc.

And for the torch, a spot to carry a reasonable sized fire extinguisher plus a compliment of tubing tools. It will depend upon whether you are doing an install or a simple repair ... like changing out a solenoid valve or TX valve. Or a compressor change-out.

The motto of these new carriers would be "Grab N' Go". One trip and your ready to work.

If you can write down those little things which cost you a trip back to the van .... and have them with you the next time your far awy from the vehicle ... you will work more effeciently as well as have less stress.
    So you will be more alert and fresh for the next service call when your dispatched.

Stress, whether self generated or done so by a supervisor or dispatcher is a major factor in what will take away your edge when working in this field.

Having the right tools handy and the little parts or acessories that go with the major motors/ pumps, etc .. this will help to make you a much better mechanic over time.
    Knowledge & experience & attitude are your best developed partners.

I found a backpack toolbag at menards that alot of pockets inside. I also keep the longer strap from one of my rachet strap set, rolled up in my toolbag, if I need to lower something down a short distance, it works well and takes up little scape.

Box, belt or bag...Let the apprentice decide.

I switched from belt to bag 6-7 years ago and never looked back (especially to see if the apprentice can keep up )
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Originally posted by bornriding
    I use a tool belt & pouch, have for 30 years. I wear the belt where it should be worn, not on my shoulder. I like to have my hand tools where I can get at them quickly. I don't even have to look when I grab a tool. I know exactly where it is in my pouch. I believe that the pouch saves time over anything else. I keep 90% of hand tools I need in pouch & even carry my meter on my belt too.
    Sometimes I have to take it off to get into tight places.
    As someone said, I started out as an electrician.
    I agree. The dad of the guy I work for came up with a toolpouch design a few years ago so we have them made from the pattern. Pretty maroon leather. I never could seem to find a store bought pouch that wouldn't be so rigid and oversized that you wouldn't dump all of your tools out of it.

The pouch I wear on my hip is just the right size for the tools I carry to fit into snugly. Everything is right there as far as main hand tools go. I also carry a bag with drill, meters, flashlight, water nozzle etc etc for service calls.

On installs, I can pretty much get all of the tools I need in another tool bag for sheetmetal tools and the like plus my service bag. 2 bags. PVC fittings go in a plastic carry box. Other plastic boxes on truck contain bolts and other stuff.

Originally posted by R12rules
    if people take this "get organised" too far ... pretty soon you will find little carriers for your vacuum pump which will not only support the pump itself, but also the items you need WITH the pump / oil, special four valve manifold with braided hoses, micron gage, etc.

And for the torch, a spot to carry a reasonable sized fire extinguisher plus a compliment of tubing tools. It will depend upon whether you are doing an install or a simple repair ... like changing out a solenoid valve or TX valve. Or a compressor change-out.

The motto of these new carriers would be "Grab N' Go". One trip and your ready to work.

If you can write down those little things which cost you a trip back to the van .... and have them with you the next time your far awy from the vehicle ... you will work more effeciently as well as have less stress.
    So you will be more alert and fresh for the next service call when your dispatched.

Stress, whether self generated or done so by a supervisor or dispatcher is a major factor in what will take away your edge when working in this field.

Having the right tools handy and the little parts or acessories that go with the major motors/ pumps, etc .. this will help to make you a much better mechanic over time.
    Knowledge & experience & attitude are your best developed partners.
    I've been working toward that end for a LOOOONG time, now. Too many variables, though, to have the perfect kit for every situation, I've found.

I have a lot of "kits" set up, though, like brazing, sheet metal, troubleshooting, commercial refirg repair, supermarket refrig repair, boilers, oil box, gas bag, airflow repair, blah blah blah.

One of these years, I'm gonna empty that hog, and the contents of each kit, and take pics.

BTW. Every kit has it's own Fluke meter.

Talking

For the most part, I'll use a box. For us short guys it's nice to grow a foot to reach some of those high attic accesses...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast