Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy

Hello all-

I bought a house a year ago with the original "Carrier" unit. It worked PERFECT last summer. My fiance' and I live in memphis, where currently the heat is around 115 with the heat index. The house will not get below 86-88 when I get home from work...usually around 5-530. I have a had the freon charged, duct work checked, the a-coil has not been cleaned. It is HARD to get to. I think that I can clean it myself, if i know this is indeed the problem. My airflow in the kitchen, and master bedroom is great, but the office, spare rooms and den are very faint. The air that blows out, seems to come out at the temp i set the thermostat...any help would be a god sent. dont want to pay folks any more not to fix the unit. thanks!

Unhappy Is it hot inside, or are you hot..

Originally posted by chrisboli27
    Hello all-

I bought a house a year ago with the original "Carrier" unit. It worked PERFECT last summer. My fiance' and I live in memphis, where currently the heat is around 115 with the heat index. The house will not get below 86-88 when I get home from work...usually around 5-530. I have a had the freon charged, duct work checked, the a-coil has not been cleaned. It is HARD to get to. I think that I can clean it myself, if i know this is indeed the problem. My airflow in the kitchen, and master bedroom is great, but the office, spare rooms and den are very faint. The air that blows out, seems to come out at the temp i set the thermostat...any help would be a god sent. dont want to pay folks any more not to fix the unit. thanks!
    Clean the coil,clean the condenser and change the filter. Those are the items that are SAFE for you to do.

Fixing the air conditioning is not in your job discription so don't pay or stay hot... Just my opinion..
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

if its 115 & you get 86 thats not bad.115 is a lot for any a/c to work agenst. you should have a pro look at it to be sure. alot can happen over the winter you could be low on refrigerant??? could be duct work that is partly restricted now??? have it checked out

Have had 2 pros out, they did check duct and charged unit. still not cooling. high yest was 98, the unit stayed at 87 til around 9, and got to 84

do you sense air flow from the vents?
    check the copper pipes connected to the evaporator.is the big one cold?how cold?
    Sometimes there are compounding complexities of multiple variables that are not intuitively obvious

I wont be around for awhile,but be sure to answer the questions and maybe someone can point you in the right direction...

sounds like you have a problem that the techs should have told you about...

yes there is air flow...just not much. i can tell you after 5 how cold the copper wire is. thanks

The big line to the a-coil and condenser should be real cold and probably sweating
    You need to take actual temperature readings to know what is happening
    The air coming out the top of the condensing unit should be very warm

and one last thing is do you let the a./c run all day when you are not home?

Nice and catchy topic, who is in the house?

allso find out the delta T, the dirence between the air temp going in the coil and out temp ie... 70in 50 out= 20 delta T, should be apx. 18-22. 20 would be best. also the indoor and outdoor temps at that time

115 to 86

The 115 is part of the problem, close the drapes, add solar screens to the windows, check the insulation in the attic, stop taking them long hot showers together. I guess your 115 is the heat index so your looking at about 98 to 100 actual temperture, so the unit should be running all the time and gaining a little in the afternoon that with the latent load being up lately it maybe doing al it can do.

Re: 115 to 86

Originally posted by Hroper
    The 115 is part of the problem, close the drapes, add solar screens to the windows, check the insulation in the attic, stop taking them long hot showers together. I guess your 115 is the heat index so your looking at about 98 to 100 actual temperture, so the unit should be running all the time and gaining a little in the afternoon that with the latent load being up lately it maybe doing al it can do.
    Ditto

Probably designed to 100 outdoor and 75 indoor; 25 split.
    115 - 25 = 90

I was in one of those Arabian contries recently. I flew in at night and woke up sweating; 90 inside! I griped at the desk clerk and he just looked at me funny (to his credit). I went outside to burn one and it was 120 outside, when I came inside I did not say another word.

Life is hard, and things get hot, always watch out for those large copper wires!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast