Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Trane Oil temp what did I miss?

I have a Trane chiller with an oil temp of 162F, I am slated to go back to take a look on Wednesday and was curious what you guys think.

Here's the info any thoughts would be appreciated.

Trane Model: RTWA125AYEO1D3COWFNR Serial: UOOM6027

CHILLED WATER SET POINT= 44F
    CHILLED WATER LEAVING= 44F
    CHILLED WATER ENTERING= 48F
    COND ENTERING WATER= 82F
    COND LEAVING WATER= 88F

CKT#1
    OIL TEMP= 162F <--------
    SUCTION= 70 PSI
    HI=156 PSI
    SUCTION TEMP= 47F
    SATURATED DISCHARGE= 85F

CKT#2
    OIL TEMP=136F
    SUCTION=67 PSI
    HI=175 PSI
    SUCTION TEMP=44F
    SATURATED DISCHARGE= 92F

Oil cooler is water..

I plan on checking heaters stuck on, oil cooler "and it's gotta be" sensor for the obvious stuff... But if it's not what the heck... So iv'e been told by our other mechanic it's not the above....
    Last edited by Octopus; 10-11-2010 at 09:41 PM.
    It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.

- E.E. Cummings

Water side of oil cooler, or water reg. valve, if you have one?
    God Bless the USA

according to your model have a low volume compressor, I suggest you check the condenser for a possible obstruction.

digit 17 = w(lo-vi)

Alright gentlemen I'll check it out thank you for the input.

- E.E. Cummings

What I think you have going on here is this. You're correct by verifying the sensors. The machine looks to be under a light load, check and see if the female step solenoid is energized, if it is not you're circulating condenser gas in the comp. causing the temp to rise above trip point. I'll dig thru some of my lit. and see if I can come up w/ a bulletin on this. I've had this happen before, purchased an Eprom kit and problem went away. You may be able to adjust some of the parameters to keep it loaded.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Sensors are all ok so i'm going to punch the tubes Monday.

- E.E. Cummings

What is your superheat? High superheat = high discharge temp. which = high oil temp. on a srew.

Quote Originally Posted by cperk View Post
    What is your superheat? High superheat = high discharge temp. which = high oil temp. on a srew.
    What I meant to spell was screw. Have you compared the actual discharge temps. of the two? Not saturated temp.

Quote Originally Posted by txhvac View Post
    What I think you have going on here is this. You're correct by verifying the sensors. The machine looks to be under a light load, check and see if the female step solenoid is energized, if it is not you're circulating condenser gas in the comp. causing the temp to rise above trip point. I'll dig thru some of my lit. and see if I can come up w/ a bulletin on this. I've had this happen before, purchased an Eprom kit and problem went away. You may be able to adjust some of the parameters to keep it loaded.
    You sir were correct, I punched the tubes after circulating the juice through them just to be sure. I then changed lead lag compressors around and allowed it to go into a low load with compressor #2 unloaded instead of #1 and guess what high oil temp followed. I also found the female unloader not energized and it is indeed circulating hot gas, I also figure the rotors not pumping much refrigerant must be adding their own heat to the mix as well. Trane said no e-prom kit but no big deal I'll just change diff temp and if it's still a bit hot I can play with the superheat a bit without carry over.

- E.E. Cummings

Figure your superheat with your own thermometer and gauges. If superheat is high, oil temp. will be high. Is this a chhn comp.? I believe superheat is supposed to be 4* F. If your sat. evap. or comp. suction temp. sensor is off just a little, it throws the S.H. way off. If S.H. is too low, oil temp. will be too low and give a low oil flow diagnostic.

Quote Originally Posted by cperk View Post
    Figure your superheat with your own thermometer and gauges. If superheat is high, oil temp. will be high. Is this a chhn comp.? I believe superheat is supposed to be 4* F. If your sat. evap. or comp. suction temp. sensor is off just a little, it throws the S.H. way off. If S.H. is too low, oil temp. will be too low and give a low oil flow diagnostic.
    They are not chhn compressors, I never ever trust the machines sensors and always get my numbers from my test equipment, However surprisingly the machines sensors were dead on, The machines target sh is 6-8 from the factory i think, It's running under such a low load that I'm thinking just going from a 2 degree "diff to stage" to a 4 or 5 may be enough to shut the compressor down eliminating my issues. I also have a temp reset on outside air it will offset the chilled water set point by up to 8 degrees also helping with this low load issue.

- E.E. Cummings

Have you checked oil pressure? Dirty oil filters? Also there is a setting in the CLD concerning oil temperature that must be set to -4 not 4. I have seen a failed oil control valve with no diagnostic because of this setting. It is in the IOM. Sorry I dont remember the exact labeling of the parameter.

Damn it txhvac was right on. Trane said no software kit and now I call again and magically theres a software kit for crying out loud. I changed SH from 6 to 4 degrees, I put in a reset on water and it loaded and unloaded the compressor enough to keep oil temp down from 171 degrees to 141. Until the software kit goes in this will do.

- E.E. Cummings

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast