Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Experience With HVACR- Need Training With Window Units

I have experience fixing HVAC units for a few years now. I need to learn how to repair Window AC units as well. What resources would you recommend for learning how to fix Window AC units? I don't need an explanation of the refrig. cycle or how compressor's work. I need the practical information on how to get to the parts (i.e. step by steps) for someone with HVACR experience.

I find that asking other experienced people is the best way. Thanks to all of you.

These days the only way someone would consider repairing a window unit is by replacing it.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Well first take it out window second throw in garbage after removing refrigerant

That's funny One broke today; I may end-up doing just that.

Some of the units could be over $400. I took it out and plan to open it in a few days; that should give me some info on this.

Hmm

I always thought that this units were made to be "Throw away units" Units are no good untill 75 degrees outside temps. and once there dead they are dead. Most have duel shaft motors and are very hard to access the coils from the inside ..

Window A/C units are very simple. The only main difference is that they have one motor for both the indoor and outdoor fans. In general the only part worth replacing is the capacitor. Anything more than that is gonna cost near as much as a new unit.

Wait untill you start taking it apart and deal with the styrofoam fan shrouds. You will give up in disgust.

I agree the capacitor is the only thing worth changing. For the future, I am trying to find a way to change the capacitor while its still in the window. They are very heavy to take out.

Quote Originally Posted by jjrr007 View Post
    .... For the future, I am trying to find a way to change the capacitor while its still in the window. They are very heavy to take out.
    i used to have a window unit that did my bedroom in a house we just bought and I didn't get the central air installed yet. It did the bedroom just fine but had a small leak. i installed a tap-a-line then cut a hole in the cabinet so i could hook up my hoses and add some refrigerant without taking it out of the window.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

-- William Ernest Henley

You are glutting for punishment. I have a customer who has a couple rental units with window-shakers she called last week asking if I'd go look at it. I asked how big is it and she said "Small". (Yes, we're talking about window-shakers.) I told her if she paid a Service call and 1 pound of "freon" she could go buy a New One. To call me and I'd swap it out if she needed me to.

Now if you want to repair something that's about the same Size as a Window Unit and Cost 8x to 10x more start working on Marine units there's Money it that!
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

I need the practical information on how to get to the parts (i.e. step by steps) for someone with HVACR experience.
    Read the manufacturer's install booklets...

go to: repairclinic.com or apdepot.com and other such sites...

Window units can be labor intensive because they are bulky and heavy...
    if you are doing much of this you'll want special hand trucks/jacks to save
    your back...

If you have a "shop" to bench repair, it could be a profitable niche market
    (most of us don't want to bother with them)
    Prof. Koldenhott
    HVAC Instructor

"Those that CAN...teach...
    PASSIONATELY!"

Yeah, window units can be heavy.
    How to fix them while they are still in the window.

This whole discussion is too funny.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

I agree the capacitor is the only thing worth changing. For the future, I am trying to find a way to change the capacitor while its still in the window. They are very heavy to take out.
    If you're talking about the big 220V units, the capacitor is often behind the control panel. usually you only have to remove 3-4 screws and take the control panel off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast