Hybrid View

search function shortcoming

The refusal to search for a short word is really annoying, often rendering the search function virtually useless.

For instance, I'm having problems with a Trane EEV. So I ran a search on "Trane EEV"

What do I get? "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: eev" followed by the first 500 threads with just "Trane" included.

Yay - just what I needed!

Useless and a waste of time.

Thanks for that - interesting that "EEV" didn't return more results.

I was similarly frustrated awhile back by the inability to search for "20i" (as in Trane) - same basic result. I don't understand what purpose is served by a >3 character limit.

Thanks again for the quick response.

Quote Originally Posted by watercop View Post
    I don't understand what purpose is served by a >3 character limit.

the whole reason VB has this in their software for more than 3 characters is because if you were to search for lets say "ac", then you would get a hit for every word that has "ac" within it.
    Steamfitters Local 601

True, but...

... it tops out at 500 hits, so where's the harm?

I could search on "HVAC" or "that" or "meter" or "guage" or "cold" or "no DIY" and have similar 'risk' of many many hits.

My particular issue with EEV has been resolved, but it would be really helpful to be able to search for "EEV" or 20i. Both are fairly uncommon character strings pertaining to cutting edge equipment, likely a topic of interest.

Another example - a newcomer might have need to search for "TXV" within a technical forum.

I don't recall ever running up against this restriction at other forum sites I frequent, giving rise to questioning its necessity.

Still an issue...

The function now allows sub-4-character search subjects but fails to return results.

For example, a search of "eev" is accepted but returns no results, but a search for "peeve" (a word in wide use by HVAC TALKers...) returns 150 results.

Search function have always been a royal pain. We are upgrading the site and the search will still be mucked up. We are looking for better search products. The issue is, if it is too good the bot will infiltrate the Pro Areas and take snipits then put the Pro posts on the internet. Just is what it is.