Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: head scratcher

Suction pressure between 80 and 72?

As in the needle keeps moving, or it was some where between and you don't remmember what it was.

Type of metering device
    indoor wetbulb, and dry
    outdoor drybulb
    suction line pressure and temp
    liquid line pressure and temp
    mod and serial numbers.
    air flow?
    coil delta
    compressor amp draw
    was a vacuum pulled when you installed it
    how long is the line set
    how much gas did you put in
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    first how do i use spell check on this dam thing

i type in word or works spell check it then paste to the reply box

i dont spell check everything but sometimes you just gotta do it

Well I got my ass knock off and hand back to me. I will use spell check next time so you guys can calm down. We pull a vacuum to 28inch of mercury. Now you ask me of superheat I gave you all the readings house temp, out side temp, discharge temp, return air temp, head pressure suction pressures. Then you ask why the blower has to be running on high well the a coil need a nom. 1200 cfm. to work right, how did I got this took a amp reading from the blower wires red in my case was high lead. It a Goodman match system at 3 ton the house is in Ohio with 2250 sq feet I know it a little under but that all the lady could afford. By the way I took only 50 bucks to help. This help keep her cost down total cost to her with everything was 1200 ( I saw the bill and it my buddy family) not $2500 (cheapest quotes) she was quote from one of you pros I went through a 2 year program at a state college for H.V.AC. and been 15 year at my job as a prevented maintenance person and the last 2 years training in Commercial AC. I talk to couple of my coworkers and everyone has an ideas but no answer... When I went through school one of my teacher said that in this field the pros help out the newbie more than any other field I do not see it here.

i'd say the customer got their monies worth, unfortuetley you did not.

live and learn.

wild guess

Sounds like some electric heat is running above cooling coil. P.S. Red is low speed.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

You didn't answer if the pressure keeps moving on the low side.

You grammer is hard to follow.

Now you say you knowingly put in an undersized unit?

Your fla sounds high, almost over charged.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by mtumeo
    When I went through school one of my teacher said that in this field the pros help out the newbie more than any other field I do not see it here.
    If you do not see it then you are too blind to look

No one has jumped your a$$ as bad as they could have

You need to learn some more there is no doubt about it and you can either get defensive and say we are not helping or actually listen and learn what you need to do the job right

Next 28" vacuum does not tell you that you have evacuated the system to a proper level

And you need to learn what superheat and sub cooling are and use them

Also as far as $2500 bid from the pros well I can only say there is a reason they charge so much
    It is because the system will work when they leave

Now if you think this is not trying to help you then you probably are beyond help
    If you want to learn then stick around if not good luck with the rest of your side jobs

Originally posted by dhvac
    No one has jumped your a$$ as bad as they could have
    [/B]
    Thats the truth
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

ok now that you have your ass back lol
    did you replace the orfice with the one that came with the condenser or leave the orfice that came with the coil. is it a txv. 29in wc isnt good enough for a vacume as far as i am concerned but you should have reached 30 since you are only useing your gauges. did you do a leak check with nitrogen before you did the vacume. last did you run nitro through the lines while you were brazing. you may have a small leak and that would explain why you are loosing ground. next how much more would a 3.5 ton unit have cost.
    recllaim the unit do a leak check make sure you have the correct orfice. the one that came with the condenser not the coil. clean the screen just before the orfice. since you are useing your gauges for the vacume then pull a vacume for 2 hours min. and then add freon before you remove your gauges. when you have done all this we need from you this.
    inside temp
    return temp at the unit.
    supply temp at the unit.
    suction line temp at the coil and the condenser.
    liquid line temp at the coil and the condenser.
    suction presure and liquid line presure.
    out side temp 6 inches from the condenser coil.
    discharge temp fro the condenser fan
    with out all this we have noyhing to go by

For all the people who are new to this discussion, I help a buddy last Sunday install an AC. into a family member of his house. When we got in install after flushing the line out with nitrogen gas and pulling 28 inches of mercury vacuum for an hour then we open the AC.unit (which is fill with R-22). At that time the out side temp was 97 degree which gave me 316 lbs head pressure the suction pressure was on the high side at 85 lbs but the inside temp was at 90 so that was understandable ( I thought) I also check discharge air it was at 73 and the unit was pulling 13 .5 amps. By that time it was 900 pm I had to been to work early and my buddy was leaving for his vacation. He asks me to look in on her to make sure everything was going ok I gave her my number. As it always does something happen so when I got home I call her back we left thermomonitor there so she can watch the temp (old lady with too much time) She said it was to hot still at her place so I went over OAT=outside temp was at 95 which gave me a head pressure at 295 lbs suction was in the 88 lbs I was puzzle by this RT=inside house temp was at 84 and discharge temp at 69. Call another coworker up he said sound like that I was not get enough air back so pull the filter check the blower out to see if it needed clean (which I clean) then I check the speeds out it was pulling 5.3 amps (motor rating 5.8) from the red lead which is label high their a heat and two park on the control board. Read the spec on the a-coil and it needed 1200 Cfm.. Finally got the buddy on vacation on his phone he said to pull out ref until I get it into the 70s. I did this on the 3 day gave me 72 lbs on the suction and 260 on the head pressure OAT was at 90 RT was at 80 and discharge 67. Since then out temp has drop back down to 80s she ok with temp which is now RT is 75 and discharge is 63 had not put gauges on it yet buddy told me to wait until he got home and then we will fix it. The house is a 2 Story wood at 2250 sq feet he bought a 3 ton Goodman AC. unit with match A-coil.
    P.S. He said he did not like the suction pressure the first night but he though it would come down with house temp when I call what was going on he said that it was probably a bad compressor valve.

Since this was a match set I did not replace it with the one that came with the condenser. I did do a leak check (with soap bubbles and putting 250 lbs nitro) after brazing with silver solder and mapp gas torch. I did install a suction line filter/dryer into the system.
    Will update saturday

I went back and check out the motor and it shows red is for high speed. As for superheat and subcooling I did not think to give them because I gave out all temps and pressure and did not wanted to sound dumb which I end up doing. I sometime jump to quicky with out thinking. I know you guys are not mind readers. Thank for all the input let you guys know how saturday goes he told me not to touch it until he get there.

Question

(Then you ask why the blower has to be running on high well the a coil need a nom. 1200 cfm. to work right, how did I got this took a amp reading from the blower wires red in my case was high lead.) Please mtumeo tell me you were joking about how you did a cfm check!!
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast