I am having an HVAC guy take out the duct to my 30 s.f. half bath. The room is an oven in the winter and a freezer box in the summer with the A/C on. Are there any potential problems in removing that duct? Does that mess with the pressure? Do I need to have one installed elsewhere to make up for the one coming out? Is it better to put in a smaller duct and register instead of just taking it out completey? It's flex duct and the size is 10", the duct is 10" to every register in the house.
    The HVAC heat pump, air handler, A/C 3ton(trane) and duct were newly installed about eight years ago in our remodeled 1940's house which did not have HVAC previously. I now know I should've had the load calcs done first before they installed anything. They didn't offer that and I didn't know any better then. After reading on this website it looks like I should also have had a return upstairs . This live and learn stuff can get expensive. I have called the 15 or so HVAC people in our area (small town) only two people do load calcs and apparently only if you know to ask for it. sheesh.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    A damper at the takeoff is a better solution,have them adjust it to reduce the flow to the bath.

With 10" ducts to all rooms,they can likely handle a little extra air from reducing the bath air flow.

10'' duct in 30 sq. ft. bathroom? Wow! Never seen 10" supply in residential or boot to put them on. Registers must be at least, what, 6 x 16. I think I would install dampers in all of them.

I completely agree with dexman. WOW! 10 " diam supply runs . that's approx 4 times more area/volume than really needed, unless these rooms are of a "humungus" size.
    at any rate, just damper the bathroom one right off for now.
    then, if possible get a Tech in to re-size the whole system.

[Edited by deejoe on 07-25-2005 at 06:35 PM]

Your comment made me double check the duct size. Yup, a big #8" stamped on it. Sorry, that was dumb. They are all 8" not 10. Went down there with my tape measure, didn't stop to think that the size might be stamped on it in big red numbers!. Must be the inside dimension thats 8". Is that right?

Boots for the supply air are all 12"x7" (really). Registers are commercial that do not open or close, or direct air in any direction. Metal frame with thin metal strips from one end to the other, 1/4" spaces for airflow. The return boots are 2'x6". Looks like they fabricated all these boots. They look hand made so to speak, pieces of sheetmetal pinned together with some kind of nail-head looking things. Do installers make their boots, buy them or both depending on the situation?

Commercial Honeywell T7300 t-stat too.

Even 8" for a bathroom is mighty big. Is the celing a lay-in or something that you can easily get above? If so installing a damper would be the best solution still. If not maybe look for a register that is appealing to the eye with a damper in it. Or switch out the boot with something more common so you can get a register with a damper. Might end up callin someone out to do this if one of the easier solutions isn't possible.

I doubt they made thier own boots, but it's hard to say. Not many people know how to make a boot, and of those who do would rather buy them because it's cheaper to buy em than build em.

this is something that stiff nipples will be proud of

Thank you guys for your advice. It is so nice that this website exists. Your knowledge and experience are so helpful to people.

I will ask the guy to install a damper.

I really appreciate it,
    Thanks,
    Michelle