Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by troyorr
    RoBoTeq, DAPtex is the brand of latex foam I use. Comes in a blue can. A lot better than GreatStuff, in the red can. It is really good stuff. I buy it at Lowes but I'm sure other places also sell it. I like the fact that this stuff won't overexpand like the polyurethane foams. It only expands until it meets resistance. It won't buckle or warp objects it comes in contact with. One can can seal around all of the boots in a new home.
    Thanks. Yes, I saw a can of red stuff (not sure if it was GreatStuff or not) yesterday in HVAC supply store and almost got some until I read that it could cause warpage of the surrounding material. Yikes!

One last question -- Temperature at the returns is in a reasonably narrow range, but output from the supplies can vary from 50-ish or so (especially downstairs where the ductwork is in the crawlspace) during the cooling season to possibly 110-120F during stage 2 operation of the furnace in heating season. Will the foam hold up under those conditions?

Robotek, latex foam is a very common material. Judging by your number of posts, I'd say you spend too much time on the forum and not enough time at the store
    Latex foam is easy to use, but is much weaker than polyurethane once hardened. It also doesn't cut, sand or trim as well.

Joe, yes, the foam will be just fine from 50 to 120F.

Originally posted by dx
    Robotek, latex foam is a very common material. Judging by your number of posts, I'd say you spend too much time on the forum and not enough time at the store
    Latex foam is easy to use, but is much weaker than polyurethane once hardened. It also doesn't cut, sand or trim as well.
    I just have not been in the field much for the past decade so I am not as up on newer products. Next thing you know they will come up with some type of screw to replace pop rivets

I actually like the hydraulic action of the Great Stuff when leveling condenser/heat pump pads. The pressure pushes against the ground insuring that any loose material will become part of the pad support.

For doing the regester openings, that latex sounds much better.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12