Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ..........or am I missing something.

Outside unit.Amana RCB48B2A...is there anyway to tell the tonage of this unit?
    ambient outside temp.......92*F
    Suction Pressure.....70#...40*F
    Discharge...........350#..145*F
    suction line temp..........52*F

motor is pulling 24.8 amps. Rated at 23.1

when I shut the unit down, the unit sits at 120#

The thing says it's rated for 300#s on the high side, so I got kinda scared.

Inside, the unit will get me 60*F out of the nearest vent. I'm @ 72*F on the return. It runs all day, from about noon till nine. works fine at night.

I've got a new filter, and good airflow @ the furthest vent.

Is there anything else I need to check??

Originally posted by thunderkyss
    .......... when I shut the unit down, the unit sits at 120#

Uh-oh you broke it.
    we will need to know liquid line temp,wet bulb temp,metering device type,to confirm it.

Better yet, call a pro.

Oh....................

And it's a 4ton.

my, you guys are active. wasn't expecting a reply so soon, much less 3.

4 ton, thanks.......how'du know.

liquid line temp?? is that the same as suction line temp?? I mentioned that, if it is. wet bulb??

I'll be calling the pro tomorrow. no overtime here pal.

in the mean time, anything else I should check??

My guy told me I should change the inside coil, two yrs ago, when he changed the outside unit. to one with a TXV.......said it would be more effecient.......I may end up doing that now.
    But, as it stands its a fixed O.

[Edited by thunderkyss on 07-24-2005 at 09:01 PM]

at 92 out and 72 in it will run all day. you seam to have a system sized properly and doing its job properly. i will also bet the humidity level is low also. the high side is a bit to high but that could be just because the coil needs to be cleaned. have it looked at and the condenser coil cleaned properly and you should be fine for the season

oh yeah, my house, is 1998sqft.......should I have gone bigger??

..........or am I missing something.

when I shut the unit down, the unit sits at 120#

I was joking,thats normal

liquid line temp is not the same as suction line temp.
    wetbulb temp is a measure of the amount of moisture in the air.google it.
    if the guy said you should have changed the indoor unit,then that might be your problem
    and by the way,what is your problem specificly?not cooling?

I'm sure changing the coil will help, but if that's my problem I don't know. I'm not saying I won't change it, I might(actually tell the guy to change it) I don't think that's my problem.

That was two years ago, he put the new outside unit in. It's been working fine since. But the last week or two, I've notice it'd been running longer and longer, to where now, it's on all day, no joke, from noon till nine. I've got a thermometer stuck in the vent closest to the coils, and it reads 60, it used to get down to 40*. I threw some gauges on there, and checked the pressure. I was told to use the 30* plus method, but decided to google for an alternative method. So I'm here.

I'm an electrician, so I understand you guys not wanting to get to the nitty gritty and hold my hand thru this...but before I call someone out, I want to make sure I've got a real problem. It'd be nice if I could get called to change every breaker, light switch, and cieling fan, but whatchagonnado....

Summer is just starting, it's gonna get hotter. I've got a laptop, and an expedition in the shop, I'm gonna do what I can while I can. when my AC guy comes buy, the little so&so is going to earn his money, know what I mean??

oil-2-4-6-gas is offline Professional Member b&M _email server rejected
    thats the way to do when the a/c guy gets there give him a hard time,bust his balls --i hope he treats you like i do with my heating customers--nothing we like more than a pain in a$$ customer ---when we're burnt out from the season--

I'm sure changing the coil will help, but if that's my problem I don't know. I'm not saying I won't change it, I might(actually tell the guy to change it) I don't think that's my problem.

That was two years ago, he put the new outside unit in. It's been working fine since. But the last week or two, I've notice it'd been running longer and longer, to where now, it's on all day, no joke, from noon till nine. I've got a thermometer stuck in the vent closest to the coils, and it reads 60, it used to get down to 40*. I threw some gauges on there, and checked the pressure. I was told to use the 30* plus method, but decided to google for an alternative method. So I'm here.

I'm an electrician, so I understand you guys not wanting to get to the nitty gritty and hold my hand thru this...but before I call someone out, I want to make sure I've got a real problem. It'd be nice if I could get called to change every breaker, light switch, and cieling fan, but whatchagonnado....

Summer is just starting, it's gonna get hotter. I've got a laptop, and an expedition in the shop, I'm gonna do what I can while I can. when my AC guy comes buy, the little so&so is going to earn his money, know what I mean??
    Give me a hard time and you will be paying for EVERYTHING I do.

Each valve cap, wire-nut, schrader core......etc.

It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.

~Albert Camus

Either the condenser coil needs a good scrubbing or the condenser fan motor is not operating properly. No subcooling and no superheat along with high head is not good for your system.

If you want to chance allowing this system to self destruct, keep futzing with it yourself. We cannot tell you precisely what is wrong from here but with the data you have given, your system is taking a beating and it needs a pro on the job to check it out.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Talking

when my AC guy comes buy, the little so&so is going to earn his money, know what I mean??
    I get paid by the hour, the longer your over my shoulder the longer I take.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast