Insullating regester boots
    I guess I m asking what everyone else does. Im just trying to come up with a better idea how to insullate the regester boots in the attick where they penetrate the ceiling. Now I have wrapped them with duct wrap, use to just wrap in bat insullation. Thought about spraying with can insullation spray foam....might be a mess if I ever needed to rework it any time in the future. Like I say , I havent really seen a real good idea yet so anyone have a good one? Guess I could put self adhesive stick pins for duct insullation on the boot and attach the ductwrap. Guess Im thinking of trying to do a little better job then over the years being I never really had a whole lot of attic jobs and worried more about wrapping the duct and runs, then worrying that much about the boot being it was down in the insulation and thinking sticking ductwrap or batt insulation around it was enough.

are you installing the boots,or are the already there?

try a material like carpet padding (3/4inch foam)and make a template for each size you need.then glue and or tape them up.

I assume you are wanting to insulate the boots to minimize condensation caused by the boots being in a warm/humid environment. I was wondering how much condensation can one of the these boots generate if placed an attic (i.e. ceiling) or basement (i.e. a floor register). I was in my basement and noticed the subfloor was wet (not just damp) for about 3 feet from one of the floor registers. At first I thought it was a plumbing leak but could not find a leak. Can registers radiate the cool temperature this far along a piece of subfloor to generate this much condensation around the register?

Well to be honest in all the years i have been doing this , I never really looked to see what code would say about insulating boots. I just know that the way I have always done it with duct wrap or bat insullation doesnt really hold the insulation that tight to the boots so I take it that you probably loose quite a bit of cooling depending on the amount of runs. Now I honestly dont know how much it affects the efficancy but when you are doing everything possible to save the homeowners money without it being too expensive of added cost of installation. Ok lets hear some more of what everyone does.