Air Handler will not turn on...

My sincerest apologies if this is a repeat question... I've done some searching in your site but there is an over abundance of info and I'm a greenie in this field... learning as I go...

to give you some history to my question...

I have a 13 yr old system that is a (i think) 2ton 10seer unit. its a commercial grade unit that was put in cookie cutter homes in '98.

last year we had trouble with the a/c and i called a tech to come out... he charged the line as my coils in my handler were freezing over and cold air wasn't coming out of my vents... worked for alittle while... and then it went back to what it was doing, freezing over and no cool air. Got a different guy to come out, do the dye test found a leak but it was in the evaporator coils, that entire piece got replaced. got it recharged and it was working great!

heater worked great over this past winter.... and yesterday when I turned on the a/c, the compressor outside turned on but no air handler. I replaced the batteries in the t-stat thinking that might help..... let the compressor run a couple of mins, went outside and the lines coming off the compressor started to frost up... (keep in mind it was 85 yesterday)

I'm at a loss as to what can be wrong... will a simple replacement of the t-stat do it or do i need to call a tech to come out and see if its the motor or something else?

any advice is welcome. thanks!

You will need a tech!

You should really call a tech. Replacing your thermostat is not going to fix your problem. Your blower motor is not coming on, which is causing the A/C to freeze up. It could be a bad blower motor, run cap, bad wiring or a relay/circuit board. It more than likely is not something you'll be able to repair yourself, so the best thing you can do is have a tech come out to diagnose and repair for you.

I'm thinking that you also may have a refrigerant leak. You have said that it froze over last year. If the air handler was running at that time, you may want to have your tech look into this as well.

At 13 years old, if this is a heat pump system, your equivalent age is 26, since you use the system in both heating and cooling, you may want to consider replacement. JMHO

it is a heat pump system...

the heater was working great, the fan was blowing, just not now lol

i've had the unit shut off for about 2months.

Evap coil got replaced last year and any other leaks were not found

oh i would love to get a new system but I don't have the 7K to get one...

I know, not what you wanted to hear.

Just have your tech check it over, possibly do a pressure test on the refrigerant circuit to test for leaks.

The air handler issue might be something simple, but I don't want to venture any guesses, because it's just that. A guess.

eh its ok... i know i need a new one.... but what is a girl to do

just wish i had the seeds for a money tree

i hope you're right and its something simple....

call yor service guy that replaced the coil . it could be a simple fix

air handler

i agree that it is more likley to be a capacitor or fan motor...definitely call a tech out since he will have the proper knowledge and tools to diagnose it(well hopefully at least)lack of airflow will cause the system to freeze up just like a low refrigerant charge will

well.... it kicked on yesterday and the handler worked!

Its now cooling my house like nothing ever happened and its working well...

dunno what the issue was....

thank you guys for your input.... if it acts up again, i'll most definitely call the guy the put the evap coils in.

Quote Originally Posted by squeaky-clean View Post
    well.... it kicked on yesterday and the handler worked!

Its now cooling my house like nothing ever happened and its working well...

dunno what the issue was....

thank you guys for your input.... if it acts up again, i'll most definitely call the guy the put the evap coils in.
    Usually if there is something wrong, it's going to come up again. They don't ever fix themselves "magically". I would recommend having a tech come out to look at your system anyway, because it more than likely will quit working again. Have them go through the system, make sure you're ready for spring/summer operation. Tell them about the problems you were having. It would be better to have it looked at now, rather than wait until it breaks down again. It could save you some money down the road and you won't have to go without cooling and become miserable while you wait for a tech to show up when it's busy, which could be up to a week or more.