Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    its funny because the replies Iam getting, Iam not a low baller as a matter of fact Iam considered to be kind of high $$$$ I never had a problem with competition until about 3-months ago, I was getting top dollar, you say give them quality, Iam (bragging or you may think cocky) but one of the best and fussy contrators around, I dont cut corners, use Trane (and some will say thats why because tehre expensive, Iam a dealer and I get my equip for alot cheaper than you think, even my Trane rep. has been working with me to drop the price I pay for Trane even more, equip. witin about $200 of Goodman) but Ive been around for 20 years, things in the economy, and like I said it was never like this until now, everbody and there brother is opening up a shop trust me, there working damn cheap, hell you can buy Ruud condenser, air handler, whip, lineset, pad and condensate in a package for what you would pay for Bryant (which is cheap to buy) Trane , Carrier, York, a/s etc. but the main thing is guys are working out of vans, like I stated no lettering, no commmercial plates, station wagons, here in Boston it has not been like this since the mid 80's, I see alot of changes coming, but the thing thats hard to figure , is how the 13 seer thing will effect things. People are shopping for price alot of them, I had a nurse today make $45/hr. huge rock on hand husband makes six figs. when I told her price to replace heat pump she says is theat the best you can do? And my price was resonsonable. Trust me my friends things are changing here anyway.

Your worst competition is you.

why is that MAFIA

most new guys will work for next to nothing. let them. do your installs the best you can, do your service calls well. if customer wants to talk price, be prepared to explain to them cost structure plus profit and only work for legitimate profit. the bozos will self destruct, and in turn create more work for you. for every price shopper there is someone willing to pay for quality work. dont ***** to your customers, be professional the work will come.

Get this is you read my very first post reply, on 1st. page, Ive been talking about how competetive and how one co. came to developement I had with 400 condos, I was the one (thery used to go by the preffered list) who did allmost all of them, the condo owner would call office they would say to call me, well I get this nut lady her unit has a leak in the "u" bend at puncnch plate say to rplace shes forieign, gives me I dont have the $$$$ give her the bill 1-1/2 hrs. leak check clean coil, iam putting my tools in truck she locks here front door I ring bell, she finnallly answers ansd says why should I pay you for $162 doolars you didnt fix it, I say it needs replacement, 20mins. of this she writes ou check, then she calls that nite and says to me she ws alittle rude put the unit in, I say (usually get $75 dep. they cancel they loose $75) i will pick it up tommmorow, well at do it thurs. Well she calls @ 3:00pm, Iam @ supply house (NO LIE) the fork lift is just lowering it into van, I have to tell them take it out she cancelled, I drove 45mins. up to supply house 45 back. Then she told me my price was to high which I loweree for all changeout by $2000 to compete with alll other guys its so compettitive. Like I said if you read my first post reply. She said my price was to high (Its reasonable for using Trane) AND SHE GOT THE GUY THAT PAID THE MANAGEMENT PEOPLE TO DO THE JOB, whos never work up there a day in his life hes been around 35 years, I dont believe it Iam ready to throw in the towel, can work for Gas Co. as manager with my Associates Degree for abot $80,000 just look at jobs, or in town Lic. refer Tech $25-$28, Iam very frutrated talk to other self employed at supply house he says same hes been at it 8 years he says the trade is getting saturated with alot of new guys bu7ying vans and a Yellow Page AD, sorry for long post, but where is it going to end?

If you can work for a company, $80,000 ain't bad for starters. I'd imagine you get bennies, too. Probably M-F, a few weekends, maybe a night here and there...sounds like a sweet deal to me (if you don't live in NY or LA or some other over priced COLA area.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

I wonder how many of "the new guys" just starting worked for someone else that didn't provide the tools, truck or gas, and saw some of those checks from the customers.

I would probably give it a shot, too.

If I already provide the tools, the truck and the gas, then what's left? Nothing to lose, right?
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12