Thread: Window tinting

Anyone have any experience with window tinting, which degree of tint is best while not damaging double pane windows, best for cutting out heat as well as UV?

In a nutshell, does this stuff make a significant difference or is it a gimmic?

Thanks for any help.

TJ

I used 35% tint on my double pain french doors in my living room.
    It makes a great deal of difference in that room.
    It's been about 4 yrs now, and no sign of trouble.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Load Reduction

Originally posted by Toolpusher
    I used 35% tint on my double pain french doors in my living room. It makes a great deal of difference in that room. It's been about 4 yrs now, and no sign of trouble.
    Heat Gain can be cut in half with good film and installation. CALL A PRO !
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/bldg/active/...ions/films.htm

"..., many double pane window manufacturers void their warranties if the homeowner puts a window film on their product.
    If you wish to apply window film to a double pane window, make sure the window manufacturer will continue to back the window warranty."

I am not saying that they don't work, but direct window tints are VERY risky. They can cause the glass and frame to heat beyond specs. Sometimes even cracking the glass.

Please trust me on this- get solar screens. I don't sell them, I use them and they work incredible. They cut 80-90 percent of the heat coming in BEFORE it gets to your glass and window frame, heating them up and tranferring that heat inside. Your window frames will last longer (if wood), your house will look better, AND- the best part- during the winter you can EASILY remove them to allow desired sunlight in to help warm the home.

Good luck-

old yeller,

Yes, I have heard solar screens work great. However, the windows I am considering having done do not have a screens.

TJ

People who choose to modify anything,
    must take on the responsibility of thier actions.

Knowing windows mfg's don't like film on their product, and the film can void a warranty. should understand they are on there own if something goes wrong.

I knew the warrnings, I knew the plus's.
    I knew my windows didn't have any gas in between the pains.
    So I did it, I'm glad I did, it is about 3* to 4* cooler in that room.

If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

I used this and it worked great!http://www.gilafilms.com/home/platinum_insulating.html