95 CABO MEC code???

Hybrid View

We recently had a completely new central A/C system installed w/about 70 feet of sheet metal trunk (in the attic). The contractor's proposal states "Taping of ducts to meet 1995 CABO MEC codes". They taped three sides but not the bottom because "it's too hard to reach". I feel cool air under the trunk near each joint. They say that is normal and that all systems leak some. The local inspector is only concerned with plumbing and electrical compliance and won't get involved.

Have they installed the system and taped to the 95 CABO MEC code as they proposed? Should the bottom be fully taped? Are air leaks between section joints acceptable? Can anyone quote the code on this issue?

Thank you very much!

Originally posted by smarsh

Thank you very much!
    Sounds like you have a legitimate question.I would suggest you give the stste you are located in..that would narrow it down.

Isnt Cabo a beach in mexico?
    Sometimes there are compounding complexities of multiple variables that are not intuitively obvious

I'm in NJ.

Okay,that will help to find an answer here.

No you shouldn't have any leakage in the ductworks.
    If there is some miminmum amount that is allowable,then I have never heard of it.

Thanks. I know they are not just going to show up willingly and and do repairs in my hot attic w/o me having some more leverage on them. Do you know where I can get a quote of the actual code regarding duct sealing to show them? I was hoping to not have to buy a code book just for that and no library anywhere here has it.

I'd call the Better Business Bureua ASAP -- http://www.bbb.org/

Code or no code, this should not be acceptable to anyone. Usually I recommend the softer, work with'em approach, but if anyone has the nerve to tell you "it's too hard to reach" then they have no respect for you or themselves.

Thumbs up

First, THANK YOU ALL for your time and responses!!!

I just noticed that the return side is poorly sealed and that it's sucking (dusty?) attic air into the air handler AFTER the expensive media filter they installed. I would think that is partially defeating the filter's functionality and beginning to dirty-up the brand new coil in the air handler. Am I right in thinking this is significant too?

Also,

The PDF from the Furnace Doctor doesn't actually have the language of the CABO code regarding sealing the joints. Can anyone just provide that piece of code so I can use it in discussions with the contractor?