Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thermostat and Sensors to lower humidity

With help from folks on this site, I've selected a Rheem HP and AH. I live in Northern VA where it gets very humid. I would like to have the system control humidity in my house. I've been told that I need an Honeywell IAQ thermostat to do this.

The HP and AH are:
    RPQL-030JEZ + RHKL-HM3617 (RCSL-H*3617A*)

What Thermostat and sensors can I use to have the system automatically slow down the Air Handler to lower the humidity?

Thanks!

Brandon

A Honeywell IAQ (YTH9421) thermostat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Brr View Post
    With help from folks on this site, I've selected a Rheem HP and AH. I live in Northern VA where it gets very humid. I would like to have the system control humidity in my house. I've been told that I need an Honeywell IAQ thermostat to do this.

The HP and AH are:
    RPQL-030JEZ + RHKL-HM3617 (RCSL-H*3617A*)

What Thermostat and sensors can I use to have the system automatically slow down the Air Handler to lower the humidity?

Thanks!

Brandon

This may have been covered in your previous posts so sorry if it has.

Multiple levels in your home? If so, perhaps you add some indoor sensors for temperature averaging. How is your return air, mainly upstairs?

Personally I would go with the manufactures recommended stat... If humidity control is available on these units, their stat will control it with the least amount of changes to the wiring and compatibility issues.
    If we didn't do this what would we do for fun?

Quote Originally Posted by lonestarheir View Post
    Personally I would go with the manufactures recommended stat... If humidity control is available on these units, their stat will control it with the least amount of changes to the wiring and compatibility issues.

I don't think Rheem has proprietary stats. Someone might come along and correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by lonestarheir View Post
    Rheem has no special thermostat for their A/C's.
    Contractor locator map

Only if the entire system is communicating.

Dont use that i have had trouble with it compressors grinding and 3 blown humidity not as well controled , i would use the infinity by carrier or the goodman amana brands they are bullet proof

There is a way to better control humidity with a standard system just use a 2 stage ac thermostat , y1 wire to med fan speed and y2 wire to high speed, use a txv and freezestat time delay and you will be fine indoor humidity ranges between 49-53 % rh, i thought of this when i was in a bind at a piano store and it works great everyone is happy

Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    This may have been covered in your previous posts so sorry if it has.

Multiple levels in your home? If so, perhaps you add some indoor sensors for temperature averaging. How is your return air, mainly upstairs?
    This is a 3 story town home (1400 sq ft). I'm fine just using the thermostat for indoor temperature, I don't need to do averaging with additional indoor temperature sensor. Do I need a sensor inside for measuring humidity?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    A Honeywell IAQ (YTH9421) thermostat.
    Thanks beenthere.

Does this Honeywell IAQ thermostat require a separate humidity sensor or is it part of the thermostat?

Quote Originally Posted by ctcont View Post
    Dont use that i have had trouble with it compressors grinding and 3 blown humidity not as well controled , i would use the infinity by carrier or the goodman amana brands they are bullet proof
    ctcont, your experience with having problems with Rheem HPs is unique. Other pros speak very highly of Rheem.

Quote Originally Posted by Brr View Post
    Thanks beenthere.

Does this Honeywell IAQ thermostat require a separate humidity sensor or is it part of the thermostat?
    Its part of the stat.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast