I've more or less decided on an Am.Std. Heritage series 14 13 SEER as a replacement unit and I'm wondering if I should take the Air-Tite VS handler or go with a single speed (if the unit will deliver 13 without one, it may be that I have to have VS). Assuming this is an option, I know that humidity control and lower energy consumption are factors to consider, but I'm not finicky about the former, my current ancient equipment works quite well for me and I don't believe energy savings with VS has a very short payback. Is there anything else I am missing? Thanks.

If you're gonna spend the money on a Heritage 14 and TWE-P standard air handler to get 13 SEER, I'd spend a few bucks more and get the VS air handler and get 14-15 SEER plus all the advantages of variable speed. If you look at it over the course of a few years, the extra you pay won't be much per day and the dehumidification and constant circulation advantages would be worth it.

Bald Loonie: The system quoted is 13SEER with a TWE031 handler. The 14 SEER costs another 20% more, I don't know the difference between the 14 and 13 condensing unit but I'm told that the 10-13 SEER units are all done with different evap. coils and air handlers. Is that true? Anyway, I'm getting a VS with the 13, are you saying go for the 14 ??

What size outdoor unit? R22 or 410a?

The 2 & 2.5 ton R22 units both get 14 or more with the TWE-031E. Not sure where you are getting 13 SEER from. With the standard blower TWE-030P they would.

Bald Loonie: 2.5 Ton unit R22. Don't have a model no for the outside unit but I was told that Am.Std. go from 10 to 13 with the same outside unit. Are these as quiet as a Carrier?

You'll get 14 SEER with 2.5 ton Heritage 14 and TWE031 air handler. The outdoor unit probably won't be quite as quiet as a Carrier deluxe 14 SEER. But there are other benefits.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    If you're gonna spend the money on a Heritage 14 and TWE-P standard air handler to get 13 SEER, I'd spend a few bucks more and get the VS air handler and get 14-15 SEER plus all the advantages of variable speed. If you look at it over the course of a few years, the extra you pay won't be much per day and the dehumidification and constant circulation advantages would be worth it.

Absolutely ,what is comfort worth ,to you?

Great way to look at it.

Just the dehumidification the VS airhandler does, and the lack of noise is well worth it. I have the VS Trane TWE AH, and the Xl19i condensor and electronic air cleaner. I live in S FL. I set my thermo to 79. Everyone that comes over thinks my thermo is set at the low 70's. The difference is in the humidity.