Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spine fin coil

I may just be a dumb homeowner, but even I can figure out why the only place the spine-fins get used are outdoor coils, and not refrigerators, indoor coils, etc.

You can hose (or if necessary, torch) off an outdoor coil. The spine fins seem to clean pretty easily this way. They are efficient, long-lasting, and easy to clean with the tools available to somebody servicing an outdoor coil.

Neither of those is an option for any indoor coil. You can't hose off the back or underside of a refrigerator, and I know I would be a little wary of some service tech lighting dust bunnies on fire in my kitchen. You clean a fridge coil with a brush and/or vaccum. Yeah, that would certainly slaughter a spine-fin.

Trane realizes this, which is probably why you don't see spine-fins in the indoor coils that Trane makes.

Since it uses louvered panels, the only way they are going to get damaged is by poor servicing. Many (most?) brands of plate-fin coils seem to use just a cheesy WIDE open wire grid to "protect" the coils. The next door-neighbors kid playing with a basket-ball can flatten a pretty decent patch of those things.

SirWired

So bottom line is that the homeowner can easily clean these coils by hosing off from the inside out? (Assume it's done once a year). And you would have to take the panels off? How many screws?

Only one panel really needs to come off if you keep up with rinsing the coil once or twice a year, 2 screws.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I have owned a couple of the older GE refrigerators that used the spine fin for the evaporator coil.Have also worked on several of the older GE window units that used them on both the evaporator and the condenser coils.Those 3 or 4 layer thick coils were a pain to clean when they became blocked from lack of maintenance.

The Spine fin coil does not have the corrosion properties of copper and aluminum. They hold up to the dog(s) that think it is a fire hydrant.

I cant stand them. Most of the time, I find that people dont take care of their coils and spines hold on to everything.
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

i used to not like them - after reading MARK'S posts, i may allow my mind to be open towards them, thanks mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12