+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any help would be great!

Post Likes

Any help would be great!

delima... advice needed Hvac

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a big decision to make this monday.
    I have a 6000 squart ft home that is wide open with 24 ft ceilings and a lot of galss.
    We just moved in about two weeks ago and knew going into it that we would have to replace the Hvac system that is in here now. It has a total 35 year old, 10 tons of electric heat and air. Meanless to say extremly expensive to run. I have two bids... one a waterfurnace with a total of 12 tons and a dual fuel system with propane back-up. My goal (like everyone else) is to chop utilities way down and also do a better job of making it comfortable during our hot summers and cold winters.
    I want some opinions! Not neccasarily on size of units but on whick one will most likely help me acheive my 2 goals.
    So let me have it!
    Thanks
    Phogan

Post Likes
    Without question geo system with 2 stage equipment

Post Likes

Worth it

Is it worth a $25,000 difference?
    How much could I expect it to cut utility bill?
    Thanks

Post Likes
    is that $25000 before or after the 30% tax credit ? thats 30% of total installed cost. I have a computer program that will figure out payback and yearly operating costs of geo and anyother system you want to figure out its easy to sell the geo system when you show them that. Ask your contractor for this.

Post Likes

Before credit

That is before the tax credit. I need to do some research to find out exactly how that tax credit works.

Post Likes

Geo for sure

I'm not sure what your fuel prices are like where you are, but I would stay away from propane at all costs. The price and quality of fuel here are enough to keep me away from it. The geothermal might seem like a big investment now but you will definitely appreciate the operating costs long term. JCT has it right. 2 stage equipment (hopefully two to three units) will provide the maximum comfort.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by phogan View Post
    That is before the tax credit. I need to do some research to find out exactly how that tax credit works.
    Take 30% of your system total installed cost and you get a income tax credit for that amount. Your contractor needs to fill out a sheet for you and your accountant should know what to do with or just ask them.

Post Likes

What area of the country?

Geo is an option, but with your high ceilings, you might consider a mod/con boiler with radiant floors and maybe a hi velocity for cooling. The duct work on the high velocity is smaller and easier to hide.

Just a thought to confuse you even more.

I just finished a geo job in a 9,000 sq ft house. We combined it with radiant and LP boilers as backup. It gets really cold up here.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in