Under sized or broken? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I don't know what the CFM is.

The air certainly isn't blowing out through the vents very hard compaired to the older part of the house, but the older part has a 2.5 ton unit.

John, it's the oiriginal contractor who is presently working with me. I'm just not very impressed by them. He immediately charged the system, but the air coming out of the ducts was about 58F which is what he said they normally shoot for. After he charged the system, he left and said to call him if it didn't help. He didn't do anything inside the house or in the attic.

As of 3:30PM, the attic temp has climbed to 128F, the outside temp is 95, and the thermostat temp is 76F. No lights on, blinds (white aluminum) are closed, and doors closed.

I noticed the temp in the center of the room at about the same height as the thermostat is 73F, so the thermostat must be getting some heat through the wall on which it is mounted.

-Dave

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Stat should be on an Interior wall,to prevent that.

Re: Yeah, I wish I made my requirements more clear...

Originally posted by dave krueger
    I wish I'd specified more clearly what my temperature requirements were before they installed the system. It just never occurred to me that they would install a system that ran constantly during the summer. That seems like it would wear the system out before long. I'm in Alabama. It's in the 90s during the day all summer long here.
    Air conditioners are supposed to run pretty much constantly during the summer... or at least from noon until after sundown. It doesn't wear them out prematurely. That's mostly caused by poor installation, poor system design, and lack of maintenance.

Oversized systems will cycle on and off during hot summer afternoons. The results of oversizing are poor humidity control and diminished energy efficiency.

On the other hand, it does sound like you might have ended up with a two ton system had the contractor known you wanted it to hold 72 degrees.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123