Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Frown

I recently was asked by a local mobile home retailer to install 2 ac units and buy equipment for a 3rd mobile home they had sold. Did the work and here it is over 2-months later and NO maney. I have spoken to the guy on several occasions and he keeps putting me off just flat out lying and saying I will have the money by this day and it never comes. They have gone out of business and they will not return calls. I am sure several of you have had this same thing happen. Anyway sorry for rambling on but any suggestions on what I could do.

Yeah

Change your name-you now have experience.

Smile Re: Yeah

Originally posted by Stamas
    Change your name-you now have experience.

Stamas, thanks that is true I guess I need to update my info.

File a mechanics lein

Lesson Number, let's see, looking at my chart, that'l be lesson number 75.34 section 9. States: "Whenever in request to do mobile home HVAC work for either owner or dealer of any mobile home, suggest they pound sand and hang up"

you could do what a fellow HVAC contractor i know did. The owner didnt pay so he went back at night cut the lines and power and took the outdoor unit. The customer never figured out who did it(not too bright).

There is no such thing as a "Non Paying Customer".

When you go to buy a car. Or you purchase a house. You sit at the desk and you sign paperwork for a 1/2-1 hour before they give you ownership of the car or house.

But if you let someone take your material and labor your feel is prefectly all right to get swindled. You are not in the banking business. Before you do another job for anyone check out there credit. If there is bad credit don't work for them.

I'll bet you did absolutely no credit check on this mobile home dealer.

Get a copy of a credit application from your wholesaler. Adopt that credit application to your business. Do not open an account until you check credit. The is no such thing as an emergency. If someone has no heat then they can pay cash or a credit card. If someone depends on refrigeration to do business then they should know enough to set up an account with a service company BEFORE they have an emergency.

I know when you first start out you get hungry. And you get stars in your eyes when a job is in front of you. But now you know that you only get hungrier when you don't get paid.

These are signal pharses to watch out for. If you hear a "customer" said these then run like the wind the other way.

"I'll give you all of my work if you can get here now."

"I don't care how much it costs just get it done."

"Next week we'll have a closing on this property so I can pay you then. "

" My landlord said that it would be okay to send him a bill"

"The guy that sold me this system said that the manufacturer has a five year warranty on this unit. Send them the bill and if they don't pay you I will."

"The boss will be here to sign a check when you are done."

Okay vets add to the list. I'm sure you all have hear variations of this BS.

Our company has over 700 customers with open accounts. Each has a customer number. If they don't have a customer number they don't get service until they are issued one. So don't call us on the weekend out of the blue and say it is an emergency without a customer number. You will not get service even if you have a hand full of fiftys. Bottom line--the customer has to learn to set up an account before they have an emergency. I would like to add to the 700 people on the list but they better be as good as the ones I have on the list.

are you proud of me Many d's

File a mechanics lein

If you are a licenced contractor. If you are not....well there is always Judge Judy........or an icepick works as well

Wink

I am a licensed contractor, the only problem is that the owners of the mobile homes that I did the work for, they paid for the total cost of trailer including the ac equipment and installation. I hate to put a lein on there units that they have paid for. With 100 degree temp and small children living there. Maybe I am being too soft hearted.

Benncool, I thank you for all the wise words. I will for sure next time I deal with anyone like this to do my homework ahead of time.

I guess I could go to small claims but still may never see the money and that would even cost me more. Well one thing for sure is I know where the guy lives.

You know where he lives? I believe a quick clip of the thermostat wire is in order, under cover of darkness of course, do it slowly so the transformer cooks

Can a collection agency collect for something like this or is that just a waste of time. I guess the late night visit might be my best option.

You can file a credit report showing they stiffed you. But that in and of itself may do nothing to get you paid.

You can take them to small claims court, but they still dont have to pay .... in many cases. Plus you lose all that time and trouble dealing with the court system.

You can find someone who does collections and wont take a dime from you until they collect something on the account.

Those are about the best method to recoup some of the loss.

The best method is to chalk this up to learning the ropes.

We all enter business from the standpoint that we can do our own thing and make the money the boss used to make, and do it our way.
    We have little or none bausiness background and are not encouraged by anyone to get take classes or read books or meet with experts in order to gain such knowledge.
    And most of us flat out refuse to hire anyone, even part time, to handle business affairs for our small business.

We are playing with fire and whenever we get bit, we are angry it took place without our permission or any advanced warning.
    Whenever we are taking money from someone else, we are getting very personal with them and often times ... they dont play fair with us and this comes as a shock to many people.

We want so badly to beleive people are basically honest and want what we do ... a fair deal.

Learn some solid business practices.
    Read some good books.
    Attend some seminars on business management.
    Talk to some friends who are sucessful in their own venture. Ask questions. Take advice.

Dont grow bitter. It isnt worth it in the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast