From reading a post on another thread, I saw that Dash mentioned 3M Filters in a negative light. This poses a question from a homeowner. What kind of filters should be used? Is there something specific about 3M that causes consern? Is there something wrong with the pleated filters in general? Are the old "whispy" filters the way to go??

Thanks for any input and advise...

The pleted filters are fine as long you use the lower MERV rating.. The higher the MERV is, the harder the blower will have to work..

The lower priced pleted filters are fine than the $9 3M.

The cheaper fibger glass are ok, but they don't catch much..

If You have health issues, then I'd look into the Media filter system.

I have run into a couple of brands of cheep lower MERV pleated filters that were actually more restrictive than the 3M Filtreet filters.

Home Depot used to have the cheep Natural Air brand pleated filters that were something like $6 for a pack of 3. Those actually had a really good filter media in them, decently efficient without causing to much of a pressure drop.
    Home Depot dropped the Natural Air brand when they started selling thier own store brand "True Blue" filters, wich are garbage.

My favorite 1" filters are Glasfloss Z-line HV filters, but you won't find those in any stores.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

red; Filters are kind of a bandaid solution. If the home is clean, the air will be clean and if the home is dirty, the air will be dirty and smell.

The Natural Air filters are manufactured by Flanders... a quality filter!

Don't assume any filter is okay just based on the materiel used in the media.

The pressure drop of the filter needs to be checked to insure it isn't restricting airflow.

The ideal pressure drop of a properly sized filter should not exceed 20% of the fans rated capacity.

If you have the necessary surface area for that particular filter go with the better media.

If it isn't big enough it won't be worth the loss in BTU's you will get from the increased pressure drop of the filter,go fiberglass then.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

Originally posted by majormickey
    red; Filters are kind of a bandaid solution. If the home is clean, the air will be clean and if the home is dirty, the air will be dirty and smell.
    The original design intent of the filter was to keep the evaporator & blower assembly clean.

If you can get the addition of pollutant removal with a higher merv filter without sacrificing performance why not?

The biggest problem with these filters is the increased bypass leakage they usually create due to improperly built filter racks.

I would have to respectfully disagree with the second part of your statement.

We have tested homes that were cleaned daily by the homeowners still to have them expierience dust & dirt conditions.

If they have duct leakeage & a building envelope that is under a negative pressure they have no control over the pollutants being drawn into their homes.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

Originally posted by mark beiser
    I have run into a couple of brands of cheep lower MERV pleated filters that were actually more restrictive than the 3M Filtreet filters.

Home Depot used to have the cheep Natural Air brand pleated filters that were something like $6 for a pack of 3. Those actually had a really good filter media in them, decently efficient without causing to much of a pressure drop.
    Home Depot dropped the Natural Air brand when they started selling thier own store brand "True Blue" filters, wich are garbage.

My favorite 1" filters are Glasfloss Z-line HV filters, but you won't find those in any stores.
    Mark,

Our store still carry the "Natural Air" filter, and that the one I'd suggest the my customer.

I agree about the GlasFloss, That what I used to get at my last job for the store.

The 4" Glasfloss are great prodcuts also
    They last forever and cost about the same as the 1" 3M filters.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    3Ms "load up " fats need to be be changed often.as well.

What Davisr said,plus your wet coil is about a Merv 5 or 6 filter,Don't let it be the best filter in the system.

House clean?Most dust will settle before it gets to to the return grille,better filters are for the equipment and the air you breath.