Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AC in the shop

tbactbac- don't take it personally. We jump on each other, too. Of course, over in the Professional side of this forum it's nothing but gentlemanly decorum. Kind of like a Senate hearing. Such as: "I would like to yield my time on TXV discussion to the distinguished gentlemen from Florida..." That's why homeowners aren't allowed there. WE can't keep a straight face long enough. Seriously we do get bothered by someone saving a buck and it bounces back at them. I have a customer trying to that right now: no money & a hail-flattened condensor we told her to jumk out 3 years ago. It can't keep up with the 105F+ temps we've had lately. Now, she found a used unit and wants me to install it. Is it the right size? Does the darn thing even work? Will I be the one yelled at if it doesn't? Maybe, maybe, yes. Since she's a long term customer, my supervisor will probably tell her 'we'd love to'... If I could, I'd loan her some $$ for a new condensor/coil but I'd never see it again and my wife would shoot me- she's a pretty good shot, so is our younger daughter.

I think more of it like we're watching over our homeowner visitors with a fatherly passion. OK, so most often it's more like Red Foreman in 'The 70's Show'. Can't tell you the times just this last couple of weeks I've wanted to put my hands on a guy's shoulder, look him in the eyes and say "you're a dumbass, you failed to take care of your HVAC system and wonder why it failed you in the hottest days in years, now shut the hell up, leave me alone, get back in line and wait your turn" (not talking to you- this was hypothetical).

Seriously, the guy didn't ask enough questions "Is the refrigerant in the condensor or was it evacuated?" for one. It appears he blatently omitted a couple of important steps. It could seriously damage at worst or at best, negatively effect the performance over the long haul. My money's on even odds at both. If you trust him to make it right, ask him to do so. This gives the guy a chance to come clean and show his professional side (if he has one). More important than screwing up is if the person who screws up is adult about it and fixes the problems he caused. If not, look for a competent installer and have done what the guys have said earlier. I wish it was tatooed in a conspicuous place whether you can count on someone to do a good, honest job or not. I bet not one of us can say they never tried to get by on the cheap over something and were successful 100% of the time. Do you really floss like you try to tell your dentist? He knows you're lying, just admit it. (ma'am, do you change your filters regularly? Of course I do.) See, it happens in every profession. Whether it be car repair, buying used tools, an old girlfriend, etc. when you try to get by on the cheap, you take a chance. I've done my share of 'saving a buck' and spending a wad to fix it.

Bear with us and our ways. It's hot, I'm tired & thirsty and have had my fill of people wanting special, immediate drop-everyone-else-me-first service. So are the rest of the guys here. I'm blessed with a lot of really nice people that I treasure dearly as customers. And I'm cursed with a few idiots who I wish would call any one else, too. Then, there are a few 'welfare' cases you try to help out, once in a while too. Those tend to bite you in the butt hard sometimes. No good deed goes unpunished! Good luck. Greg

[Edited by greg swob on 07-22-2005 at 10:06 PM]

Originally posted by tbactbac
    Oh, give me a break. Everything that is ever asked about on this site always gets one of these, Duh, it wasn't the high bid was it. I typed that real slow so you could understand it. You knotheads think ya got a line on everything. I can tell you he wasn't the low bid. What a bunch, a guy comes to you for some info, general stuff not how to become a diy and he gets grilled. You're an idiot. It's no wonder people try to get by with not dealing with a arrogant knothead like you. I'm outta here. bunch of self-rightous.......................................
    Hey Mr.Cheap bastard if you had wanted a correct job done on your system, then you would have bought new equipment and paid for quality installation.

But, you got just what you paid for CHEAP. Cry in somebody elses POST Toasties....Don't come on this site and bad mouth us..

exactly what Greg said, theres a beauty of a "Red" saying for them type of customers, I think ya know what it is,....... "Dumb A$$"..........,lol, Love that show.

It's possible that absolutly nothing is wrong with this install.After the fact isn't the time to question the techs knowledge,if you didn't have 100% faith in the guy then why on earth use him? I wonder why the people that took this unit out didn't re-install it.Wasn't it his in-laws old condenser?

Ok, let me get this straight. There are some of you here that think if this guy didn't buy ALL equipment new he's not entitled to a quality install? He comes in here, asks a couple straight forward honest questions, and right away gets jumped for being cheap. I don't blame him for getting testy.

I can understand him using old condenser his dad had.(for a shop)

If his dad's contractor was local also, then I can't understand why not use him.

If the OP, is still reading.

You got a 50/50 chance of it being ok, or dieing from moisture and non condensibles.

The best thing to do is, have it recovered, and a liquid line filter installed, and then the entire system vacuumed.

Then recharged with virgin refrigerant.

Other wise, flip a quarter, as to how long it lasts.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Well, I got the person back that installed this setup. Once again for all the retards, he was not the low bidder. He apologized,alot. Recovered the old, replaced with new, did some checks, everything is fine. Oh to those that jumped to more conclusions, why the differant tech/installer. the inlaws live miles away. Yep, imagine that, made yourselves look and sound like the real dumb asses (thanks Red) over a easy explanation as that. People live in differant towns, who'd athunk it. I told him what went on here, cheap bastard you know real nice hellos like that, oh yeah, aircooled, shut the fk up. You have no clue. When I told him about you nice narrow minded asses, he laughed and said " you got a helluva condenser for nothing, he said it's perfect for a shop. Tell'em to go to hell. So thanks to all who were not acting like dckheds make that arrogant dkheds. To the rest....Go to hell.

OP.

The questions,and comments you received are based mostly on the limited info you told us.

You posted your contractor admitted he didn't do his job right.

So, how deep of a vacuum did he pull the second time out, and did he install anew liquid line filter dryer?

If there was a factory drier in the condenser, it should have been removed.

Was it?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12