Thread: HVAC brand

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I'm looking to get an HVAC system installed in an apartment. It's approximately 620 sq ft. I spoke with two people so far, and one quoted me using a York HVAC system 40,000 BTU and 1.5 ton split a/c unit. Another system that was quoted by the other guy was a Goodman 45,000 BTU and 3 ton split a/c unit. Do you recommend one or the other? The price difference is approximately $x,xxx between the two people. Thanks.

[Edited by BC1 on 07-22-2005 at 03:26 PM]

Wow! He quoted you 3 TONS for a 620sf apartment! Can you tell us a little about where you are located and some info on the apartment so we can get an idea of what type of heat load we are dealing with?

Well, the apartment is a floor through on one floor (the second floor from the front of the apartment and the fourth if you're looking from the back. There is one floor above me right now (but they're building an addition).

I'm not sure what kind of information you're looking for regarding the apartment. I'm also not familiar with what a "heat load" is. Please clarify. Thanks!

Toss the Goodman quote in the trash.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Is there a reason you say to toss the goodman quote?

Originally posted by gsp209
    Is there a reason you say to toss the goodman quote?
    Because it seems way oversized for 620 sq feet. I have a 2.5 ton unit for the top level in my house and it is way bigger than 620sq feet. Heat Load is the amount of heat you require based on size of room, windows, insulation, etc. See if you can get another quote/sizing from a contractor using Manual J.

Agree with York_hvac: go with contractor that takes the time to measure (and not just square footage) glass, net wall space, etc. to properly calculate the size system you need. He is making sure he is doing the right thing, and making sure you have the right system. The brand is secondary to the compentence of the installing contractor.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.