Did he install this right?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I just had a new furnace and air handler put in. The furnace is a Armstrong Air 95V 80000 btu (two stage heat) and I have a 3 ton heatpump. The thermostat can handle 3 heat and 2 cool I am using the heatpump for both AC and Heat with the Gas furnace as the backup heat which is two stage. The question is should the heating be wired for 2 or 3 stages?

You have three heat stages, heat pump and two gas stages. You should only have two wired into your t-stat (heat pump and second stage furnace). The duel-fuel control operates those two heating options. The furnace controls will operate the two stage gas heat. BTW, unsure about armstrong, but sounds like an awsome system.

[Edited by theredneckrev on 07-22-2005 at 08:15 AM]

I was told on this board that using a Honeywell TH8000 series i would not need the control board. That it would handle the heating changes.

Originally posted by wango
    I was told on this board that using a Honeywell TH8000 series i would not need the control board. That it would handle the heating changes.
    It is possible....not familiar w/ that t-stat

There needs to be some type of safety control to insure that the gas furnace NEVER turns on while the heat pump is operating.

Some thermostats can handle this if an outdoor temperature sensor is installed. Many manufacturers have special controls for running a dual fuel system.

Honeywell Vision Pro thermostats, the TH8320 and TH8321 will run a dual fuel system. An outdoor temperature sensor is needed though.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I need to have the installer back to correct it then. Also I need to find where I can get the outdoor sensor since it didn't come with the Thermostat.

Originally posted by mark beiser
    There needs to be some type of safety control to insure that the gas furnace NEVER turns on while the heat pump is operating.

Some thermostats can handle this if an outdoor temperature sensor is installed. Many manufacturers have special controls for running a dual fuel system.

Honeywell Vision Pro thermostats, the TH8320 and TH8321 will run a dual fuel system. An outdoor temperature sensor is needed though.

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like I REALLY need to check out the Vision Pro series.

The Vision Pro only does 1 stage backup So you will have to let the timer in the furnace board bring on second stage after so many minutes. On the stat, E is jumped to AUX and that wire runs to the furnace W1 & W2.

Originally posted by wango
    I need to have the installer back to correct it then. Also I need to find where I can get the outdoor sensor since it didn't come with the Thermostat.
    Simple, have the installer bring it when he comes!

I believe that if he wired it right. The gas furnace will be wired on "E" terminal which stands for emergency. Just in case the the heat pump fails or during defrost cycle when the outdoor coil is icing-up the furnace will energize
    to provide the heat needed.

Concensus: Have the original installer bring what you need, i.e. outdoor thermostat, etc. when he returns, and have HIM to the necessary installation and wiring.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

help pls..

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I am having an issue with a newly installed system and this thread has some similarities.

I had a professional installer put in a Ducane 2HP13 heat pump, with a Ducane CMPE gas fossil fuel back up. The system is controlled by a TH8321 VisionPro thermostat.

My issue is, on temperate days (50-60deg), the condenser unit doesn’t run, and the temp in the house stays at maybe 64-67 deg , with the thermostat set to 70. In manual mode, I can turn on the “emergency heat” and the furnace turns on. I have never had the furnace turn on at any other time.

I am not an HVAC guy, but I read the installation instructions and it appears that with my 2 heat, 1 cool system, the aux and E terminals need to be jumped so that when there is a significant temperature variance, the system can fire up the gas furnace to get the house up to the requested temperature, at which point the furnace will turn off, and the heat pump will take over to maintain. As it is now, there are no wires or jumpers hooked to the aux terminal.

I have had the installer out, and of course it appeared to work just fine, but I still am having an issue.

If I sound like an idiot, please be gentle, as I am an idiot…

Bill

Call your installer back and thoroughly explain the problem you are having. Go higher up the food chain if the person you're dealing with does not bring you a solution.

Offhand it sounds like a configuration/programming issue within the thermostat. Not hard to remedy if the control wiring was done correctly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast