Thread: New Trane Heat Pump and system problems

Post Likes

Unhappy

We had our entire home heating/air system replaced in April with a Trane heat pump/air handler installed by a local Trane dealer. We had the ducting replaced and everything (including the electric water heater replaced). The unit is 1/2 ton larger than our previous unit. Thermostat is set at 71F on cool only with the fan on circulate. This afternoon at 3pm the house was 74F and the temperature has risen 1F per hour. It is now 78F. It will be 79F before it starts to drop-77F at 10pm when I go to bed and back at 71F when I wake up. Tech was here today at 3:30pm and temp has continued to rise since he left. Air blows much better when the filter is removed (5" media filter). Something about 21. He mentioned air from duct was 60F and return air was 80F. He adjusted the fan speed and said something about 18 and said to call again if this didn't fix things but everything was checking out O.K. with the system. I have all the ceiling fans running and I'm not at all cool. (It's 90F outside). House is a 1775 sq ft ranch. Anyone have any suggestions? Our other system kept the house cool without difficulty. Haven't had a recent electric bill, but expect a whopper since the unit never reaches the required temperature.

Post Likes
    sounds like possible air flow problems. how is the humidity in the house? you could try to run the ac with the blower compartment door open for a short time and see if that helps at all. did the contractor do a manual J? or any type of heat loss/gain for your house?
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

Post Likes
    what part of indiana you in?
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

Post Likes
    Silly question, but is that huge filter media clean, you said it flows beter without it in.

The 80/60 temps you are refering to are the temp split temps, ( air in temp 80/ air supply temp 60)these temps are normal , splits should be anywhere from 18-23 degrees, unless the contractor was just giving ya numbers to sound good.

did the contractor leave a valid work order reciept with his pressure findings for the condensing unit, (Pressures tell everything in this Field).

And stop teasing me with the 90 degrees outside,lol

Post Likes
    oh ya!, have some qualified technician varify that the back up heat strips are not running if there is any installed,(most Heat Pumps systems have them).

You as a homeowner can also do a visual inspection that doesnt take to much mechanical aptitude, simply go out to the condensing unit, while it is running and feel the suction line (bigger refrigerant line out of the 2 out there going into the house), it should be cool to the touch, and if very humid out, possible sweating.

Hope this helps

Post Likes
    Thanks for all of the replies. They were so much more than I expected. The filter is clean, but the air flow is definitely much improved when it is removed. My husband does refrigeration and window air conditioning and says that the outside unit is sweating back "all the way. The tech has been very thorough (in my opinion) and checked everything he could think of. Fan direction, coolant charge, all the air registers and air returns, the new, programmable T-stat. No, they did not run any kind of humidity testing or survey the home, but the equipment we replaced was also a heat pump and strip furnace. If the heat strip was on wouldn't the air be warmer than 60F, but I'll suggest that when I call again. Last night, 6 hrs after he kicked up the fan speed, the house was still 78F. This a.m. it was 71F. The Tech (John) said he'd go back and see if anyone else could offer suggestions for a resolution to the problem. thanks for any help you can offer. We are in Southwest Indiana.

Post Likes
    Kicked up the fan speed? Was it not on high speed to begin with? And could you give us some more info on that filter? 5" filter sounds rather thick. If you have a noticable difference in airflow without it, I wonder if it wouldn't be worth buying a standard pleated filter to temporarily put in it's place to see if low airflow is an issue.

Post Likes
    jem, are you suggesting it should have been on high to begin with? Do all systems use high fan speed for cooling? Explain if you dont mind.

Post Likes
    Jem: He did something to adjust the speed/force of the blower or fan in the A-coil/air handler part of the unit in the garage. The 5" pleated Perfect Fit filter is the medium offering for Trane units. They offered a 1", 5" or 5" with electrostatic. I opted for the 5" as it was supposed to be replaced only every 9-12 months and keep down dusting in the house. Today when I came home it was 74F and is up to 75 in the hour since i got home-of course this is the hottest part of the day and the outside unit is on the west side of the house and getting the full afternoon sun right now-if that matters. I've also asked my husband to check our Lomax power vent in the attic. Perhaps if that has gone out, it could negatively impact the temps in the whole house? My husband thinks I am a menopausal idiot but 74-77 is just too uncomfortable for me. If it weren't for the ceiling fan in the bedroom, I would never be able to sleep at the 78F it was last night when I went to sleep at 10pm.

Post Likes
    "Change a filter once a year",hmmmmmm, try running the system without it for a day and see what happens, from what you have described before pertaining to the difference in airflow when you removed the filter,You can speed up a motor to what ever speed ya want, but if the filter is restricted, that is defeating the purpose of the speedup.

Have you niticed if he evap coil is freezing up at all?

Post Likes
    No freezing has been observed. He checked the 410R the first time he came over and it was charged to the correct pressure (or whatever terminology you use-sorry). I will try removing the filter as you suggest and run it tomorrow without it.

Post Likes
    was the return air increased. are you sure of the original units size.

Post Likes
    I had all of the original paperwork, but i threw it out when I got the new system. We had a 3 ton unit Trane unit installed. Took the filter out this a.m. and will watch the temps throughout this very hot day.

Post Likes
    We ran the unit yesterday without a filter at all and the house stayed at 71F through 1pm. At that point the temp rose throughout the afternoon but never exceeded 75F. House was back to 73F by 8:30. This is perfectly acceptable to me as it was very hot with high humidity levels. We have had 4 days of "excessive heat" warnings. I know those of you out west have to be laughing about excessive heat in the 90's-heat index 115 when your temps are at 110-115. What do we do now about a filter? Go to Lowes and purchase some that can be cut to size? The unit has a slot for a 1" filter that is now empty and the box that holds the 5" pleated filter. Which should we use? I will call my installer on Monday, but this is not an emergency and I'm not calling them on a weekend. Thanks for all of your help!

Post Likes
    buy a standard fiberglass filter to fit the 1" slot in the unit or the same dimentions as the thick media only in 1".

Post Likes
    O.K. The Lomanco power vent in the attic is functioning. We purchased a 90 day filter from Lowes that can be cut to size. The Trane filters are non-standard in size. I guess that I will still call my installer and see if they had an additional thoughts on the problem, but I'll wait until Tuesday. I want to monitor the temps with the new 1" filter in place. I guess I wasted my money on the air handler and 5 inch media filter. Thanks for all of your help!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in