Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am installing a 2 ton goodman split ac system.The unit has a factory filter/drier.What about sight glass and 2nd drier on liqued line. fixed orfice,any recommendations,do's or dont's.

Thanks for any feedback.

Please give us some info of whether you're in the field. If so, we will be glad to help you further... by the questions you ask... makes me wonder.

But if you are a DIY, the below is for you... THANKS.

(we can't help DIY due to site rules )

I am certified type 1&2 april 2005.I work primarily with ice cream refrigeration. Although the LL drier is sufficint on this system i was just wondering what other techs are doing

[Edited by henline_hvac on 07-21-2005 at 07:40 PM]

I say this with respect (so please don’t take it wrong), do you work with someone that could assist you?

Being certified in April of 2005, should mean you have a mentor that you could ask?

Otherwise, if it is verified that you are a service tech (by site), I'll be glad to offer you information at that time.

We are getting hit with MANY DIY lately, so caution is being taken on our part.

Thanks for your understanding. And by all means (if you are in the field), stick around and learn all you can!

You will also want to stop by the 'FOR YOUR INTEREST' section. There is tons of information there!

Originally posted by henline_hvac
    What about 2nd drier on liqued line.
    Dead give away here. DIY'r

WARNING

WARNING

Originally posted by madeinusa
    What about 2nd drier on liqued line.
    Dead give away here. DIY'r

WARNING

WARNING
    Thats what I was thinking
    HVAC Contractor, Tyler Texas.

We must take a poster for his/her word as to their professional stature. Until someone proves they are just not going to understand advice being given, we have no right to ridicule someone who claims to be in the industry. If you don't want to give advice to someone you feel is not qualified, that is perfectly understandable; I avoid many posters myself for that reason.

It sounds to me like henline is being up fron about his/her abilities so why give him/her a chance?

Henline...do not use multiple filter driers, it can only cause pressure drop issues. If the OEM filter/drier becomes partially blocked, I suggest removing it, putting a piece of copper tubing in its place and installing a filter/drier on the outside of the condenser.

Sight glasses are totally useless for anything but moisture indication in the system. I use them for that purpose but too many techs rely on them for charging which is a very bad idea.

Most Goodman system are fixed orifice metered but there are some bleed type coils available from Goodman as well. Most times the orifice in the coil must be changed out to the one that is provided with the outdoor unit.

If you have model numbers of the components I can tell you whether or not you need an orifice change, or you can learn residential cooling a little better by going over the I/O manuals with the condenser and the coil. Depends on if you are going to be doing a lot of resi systems in the future or are just trying to get a system up an running for yourself or a friend.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Thank you for your insite. Easy acess for future service is a plus.evap orfice and compressor is factory sized.I will check system charge/superheat. How do you feel about goodman products? I have installed 2 92.5% efficent furnaces last year and have had excellent results.

i'm curious, what made you choose goodman over all other brands?

How do you feel about goodman products?
    You would have to ask RoBo, wouldn't you? LOL

All products (regardless of brand) are dependant on a proper install to provide years of trouble free service.

most components are manufactured in the same factories with a different brand label. goodman for example uses copeland compressors. the tech makes the system right for the application.you will always run into applictions that need to be modified for optimal performance.knowing the proper modifications should be what this site is about. goodman offers value and quality. you dont need the top of the line to get adequite results

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Henline...do not use multiple filter driers, it can only cause pressure drop issues. If the OEM filter/drier becomes partially blocked, I suggest removing it, putting a piece of copper tubing in its place and installing a filter/drier on the outside of the condenser.
    RoBo, Recently installed a 2.5 ton Goodman with my own TXV. Installed a liquid receiver/dryer as recommended by the manufacturer just before the txv. Sound o.k.?

do you manufacture your own txv. that would be the proper installation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast