Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trane vs AS

I know they are the same corp.
    What specifically are differents/same on the comparable units?
    Condenser fins
    compressors
    cond motors
    OEM parts or special parts unique to them
    Would they be rated similiarly for salt air
    thanks
    gn

Outdoor units are identical mechanically, different cosmetics plus the funky top on the XLi units. Some fan motors may not interchange but beyond that they are about as generic in parts as anyone else.

Far as I have been able to tell, apart from the stickers on the units they are identical. I have even had Trane branded furnaces come out of American Standard boxes. I know this for a fact because my last furnace installed in my shop was one of these. I am an American Standard dealer and therefore not supposed to buy or install Trane, but what do you do when a Trane comes out of the box. Sure to be some warranty issues in the future.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Do they both have Copeland scrolls?
    Both have alum/alum spiral cond fins?
    thanks
    g

A-S/Trane use their own compressors. All outdoor coils are the aluminum Spine Fin coils.

The higher SEER A/S units have a double row of plate fin tubes. A/S has a "builders" model called Ameristar that looks just like a Trane but differant colored. The parts are all the same and they cost 150.00 bucks less. My supplier sells these to all the side jobbers to keep the A/S dealers quiet.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

I believe all the plate fin coils are gone on residential A-S and Trane

The Ameristar is identical to the XB10 including color and panels. Pricing would be up to local distributors.

The only difference I've found on the A/H's are the availability to change the tag from American Standard or Trane...since they are shipped with both.
    Get back to work.™

AS only goes to 18seer, the Trane XL19i goes to 19.5seer depnding on the tonnage and air handler used. A 3 ton XL19i with a TWE 40 airhandler you get 19seer. Not sure on the warranty for the AS, but if you buy the high end Trane units you get a full 10yr parts warranty on both the air handler, and condensor unit if installed together. i think the AMS you only get 5yr on the airhandler

The 3 ton with 040 AH, AS gets 18.6 and Trane gets 19.0. Why? They are the same machines. Same comps, same outdoor coil, same indoor unit. To me, it's marketing so Trane could claim to have the highest SEER available, until the new Lennox came out.

From what I am told the redesigned of the XLI cabinet allows for better coolng of the condensor coil as compared to the AS which basically has the old Trane XL cabinet design.

A-S has totally different cabinet from old Trane design. A-S has vertical louvers, Trane was horizontal.

Look at these units. A-S has wire top which is least restrictive design available. Trane blows several thousand CFM against a wall and expects it to find its way through the louvers on 4 sides. I'd expect the A-S to be more efficient! That's why I think there are some games being played.

So the units, from a technical sense, are essentially the same. Different cabinets, minor diff in specs and paint to differentate the two lines. Then where am I going wrong.

It seems "the train" is at least 20% higher from system replacement cost estimates; would'nt that make the AS a better value?
    gn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast