Thread: R410A in old R22 coil??

Post Likes
    I am wanting to get some ideas from others in the industry about this situation. I am in sales for an HVAC company and I recently lost a job to another company that is going to try and flush out the existing old r22 coil and lineset and put in an R410A condenser. My company would never use an R22 lineset for an R410A system, but I am baffled that he is trying to use the R22 coil. The customer was trying to get me to do it but I told him I would let the other guy ruin his system. Has anyone else heard of doing this? If so, do you have any documentation that would support it or condemn it?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    If the old coil,is ARI or manufacturer rated with the R410a outdoor unit,no problem.Use the correct TXV or metering device for R410a.

We only change the linesets if they are too small.

Lot's of debate on this site about ,but I think/guess the majority now agree that this is correct,or at least acceptable,even if they would change the linset.

Use the search function on this site to find other threads on the subject.

We over a 1500 replacements ,same linesets,no issues.

Used the same coil,maybe 6 or 8 times,just did one this week.

[Edited by dash on 07-21-2005 at 01:23 PM]

Post Likes
    would never even try it. scared eough about having to reuse linesets when 22 is phased out and line can't be replaced.

Post Likes
    i would keep that custmer on file you will be replaceing that system next year again, and get to tell them thats what happens when you go low bid

Post Likes
    Originally posted by bkliewer
    ... I am in sales for an HVAC company and I recently lost a job to another company that is going to try and flush out the existing old r22 coil and lineset and put in an R410A condenser. ... The customer was trying to get me to do it but I told him I would let the other guy ruin his system. Has anyone else heard of doing this? If so, do you have any documentation that would support it or condemn it?
    Lennox installation instructions for their 410A condensing units tell you how to do it.

Post Likes
    Trane is OK with it provided the lines are correctly sized and you thoroughly flush the lines and the coil.
    The coil needs to be a fairly new and be a proper match for the new outdoor unit, and a TXV for R-410a needs to be installed.

If your talking about flushing an older coil out, forget it.

I personally would think long and hard about reusing the coil though, even if it was only a year or 2 old.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in