Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    ha all im saying is i work resi. and only see 2 types of refr. r22 and 410a so i have seperate guages for each and a set for reclaim..but it is amussing reading this thread..y'all sound like the guys i work with in the national guard lol

Quote Originally Posted by rchristie420 View Post
    ha all im saying is i work resi. and only see 2 types of refr. r22 and 410a so i have seperate guages for each and a set for reclaim..but it is amussing reading this thread..y'all sound like the guys i work with in the national guard lol
    You got it right....one set for each.

What is your MOS?

aerospace ground equipment..work on a lil bit of everything in the job plus heating and a/c

Poor design

I really don't care for 12/22/502 combo gauges, because the gauges have a design accuracy based on maximum pressure and most are of 3-2-3 % design as shipped from factory.

12/134a/401A etc

22/502/404 etc makes more sense, because the operating ranges are closer together.

An 800 psi 410A gauge is allowed +/- 8 psi anywhere on the gauge and 3-2-3% version is allowed 3% or +/- 24 psi on the upper/lower 25% and 16 psi in the middle. Also, to make small changes readable, the gauges have to be big.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vx1xyiwHEc

Poor antiquated design is also something else. With analog gauges, it is necessary to bring the raw system pressures right up to where you want the user interface(gauges) to be but with digital, the sensing element should be like a core removal tool with electrical wires doing the connection to the panel rather than pressurized hoses with transducers on the reading module end.

Often time you hook up only to take readings, so with the aforementioned setup, you only need to connect hoses to the transducer block only if you need to connect something to the system. (i.e. charging or evacuation)

I have 5 or 6 sets but for the most part it is for different types of work. I do have them somewhatly divided for different refrigerants but that is primarily because the application they are geared to uses same style refrigerant. I'm probably not going to use my sets for large units/chillers on a dinky icemaker. Neither of those sets are used on service contracts where speed is of the essence. For that I use a tire pressure gage.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post
    I'm probably not going to use my sets for large units/chillers on a dinky icemaker.
    Because, its probably not going to work. The low side for big chillers would be something like this

Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post
    Because, its probably not going to work. The low side for big chillers would be something like this
    Most of the chillers I see are 134a or 22.

Wonder what yall say about me hooking up my digicools for water pressure readings on a chiller.

I also use it to set pressure switchs on air compressors for pneumatic systems.

One manifold really does do it all.

Before anyone rips me a new one, I do have 5 manifold sets on my van with lots of extra hoses I can swap to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicofthis View Post
    Wonder what yall say about me hooking up my digicools for water pressure readings on a chiller.
    The water that gets trapped in spaces under the o-rings gradually pit the brass. Have you ever disassembled a manifold? A well used one will usually have a visible ring of decay where the o-ring rests in closed position. On every piece I torn down, corrosion is always substantially worse on the high side and you can tell which pieces came from high side just form the amount of tarnish.

This one's a JB manifold's high side control valve after a good polishing.

Best manifolds to abuse are the ones that are easy to clean out and replacement seals are readily available.

Good to know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post
    The water that gets trapped in spaces under the o-rings gradually pit the brass. Have you ever disassembled a manifold? A well used one will usually have a visible ring of decay where the o-ring rests in closed position. On every piece I torn down, corrosion is always substantially worse on the high side and you can tell which pieces came from high side just form the amount of tarnish.

This one's a JB manifold's high side control valve after a good polishing.

Best manifolds to abuse are the ones that are easy to clean out and replacement seals are readily available.
    Water alone doesn't pit brass, it's the chlorine residual from refrigerants with it that causes the pitting.

If you have a manifold for R-12. Can it be upgraded?

Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    Water alone doesn't pit brass, it's the chlorine residual from refrigerants with it that causes the pitting.
    It's the combined effect of liquid water and various residues from the system. I'm sure most people knew what I meant.

If you want to split hairs, we will. Chlorine has a boiling point of -30F and there can't be "chlorine residual" any more than "Freon residual". Chlorides are not "chlorine" nor are single or double oxides of carbon "oxygen".

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTinaEsparza View Post
    If you have a manifold for R-12. Can it be upgraded?
    No such thing as "R-12 manifold". You can use it for anything you want EXCEPT ammonia or SO2 as long as the pressures are within the pressure rating. Just get the proper PT table for whatever gas you're working with.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast