Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Well let me state "That is what I was taught." Has seem to be proven in my experiance with no troubles arrising in my past 5.5 years of ref. service.Others may disagree.By far am I no expert , many have more exp. In fact I"m sure of it.(upper rt corner) Aside from oils in hoses if you get a situation like that , then a flush through the reclaimer with some reclaim has worked for me. JB is 410 and gets used for bulk reclaim.burn out, ,YJ is 22 and low press.Testo used olny where trusted of not suspect of contamination, on all refs.

Lots of oil

Also keep a low side gauge and high side gauge on stubs to put on critically charged systems to minimize loss.
    Ultra love that , my next tool. Sorry not comp. lit. enough to put it rite.

Note; Bad Day .. . Pull 73 lbs from DisADAVANTAGE 80 ton chiller to replace 1 in. coup. on Liquid line Because the cust didnt like it.Slipped with rod got glob Floated the silver un sightly but functional.Not leaking Nothing . Oh ya no valves on the POS and its a 2011. Thanks for understanding, 4 hours to reclaim to - 0,psi. Did 1st repair cause of forktruck damage . 4 hours to reaclim.again and it was working.Total Two Ten hour days
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Befor After . Sorry to hijack thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by ColdQuack View Post
    No, but he sure has a crappy smart-ass attitude.
    What you seem to perceive as a "smart-ass" attitude comes from years of getting my smart-ass kicked around in the field. I've learned what works, what doesn't and what matters and what doesn't.

When you read the guidelines published by the refrigerant manufacturers, you will see that there is a permissible amount of Mineral oil that is permitted in a POE system.

The earlier, very stringent guidelines, really, were published early on in the refrigerant change-over process when there were still a lot of OLD, OLD systems out there with less finely refined mineral oil in them with much higher wax content. Since POE will NOT hold wax in solution, you will have problems during a change-over.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraLowTemp View Post
    Or your running R507 at -60C with a 24" of Hg Suction.

Anecdote: A wise old man was once asked what belonged in a refrigeration system. Thats obvious says the old man, refrigerant and oil. Oil his student asked, any kind? No was the retort, only the kind it needs.

Seriously though, low temp, med temp, hi temp, air conditioner, ice machine, or freeze-dryer, I take comfort in knowing that the POE from the Air Conditioner I just worked on does not end up in the Mineral Oil of the Freezer I just fixed. May not cause any problems, May not.
    If you're working primarily on ULT equipment, I won't argue. I have exactly ZERO experience with that stuff, but I know that at those temps, oil movement is a big thing. I can see cross-contamination being an issue there.

Otherwise, it is a NON-ISSUE. The amount of oil entrained in the refrigerant that you trap within your manifold hoses is so minute as to be insignificant. Consider, then, that only a portion of that oil would be transferred to another system and you increase the insignificance of the oil cross-contamination.

If you want to carry a dozen sets of gauges around with you, I'm sure that Ritchie will be glad to sell them to you.

For myself, I've got 2 DRSA in the truck and they work perfectly for every situation that I've encountered in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdQuack View Post
    What do you mean would I need 4 reclaimers too? I didnt say you couldnt use the same gauges. But I heard its better to use R410 guages separate than R22 or other guages. Do what ever you want to do.
    The biggest reason that you cannot use R410 gauges with R-22 is a matter of resolution. Hard to get an exact pressure reading on R-22 with a gauge that is calibrated for R410.

But you already knew that, didn't you?

Since I use digital gauges, the scale is the same no matter what refrigerant I select and I get an accurate reading across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Realist View Post
    Befor After . Sorry to hijack thread.
    Couldn't you have just filed that big old booger off of there?

Saved you a ton of work and time and the REAL risk of contaminating the system by opening it?

I regularly use about 10 gauges/manifold/hoses sets, not counting the 20+ others I've collected over the last 40+ years.

A low volume analog gauge/manifold set with very short hoses for ice machine type work.
    Three analog R22 sets with long hoses so I can monitor several systems at once along side each other.
    One analog R22 set with extra long hoses.
    One analog automotive set for 134A.
    One analog set for R410.
    One analog 4 valve recovery set, for "dirty" systems or blended freon systems.
    One analog 4 valve recovery set for clean systems with mineral oil (I reclaim and reuse the cleaner R12/R22).
    One 4 valve digital (DC 1200) set that I am enjoying and still learning on. It is also used also to set the calibration and to pressure test all my stuff.

I have 5 dedicated evacuation manifold sets w/SS hoses because I often pull 1 to 2 day evacs using two or three pumps on each system.
    I often have an evac setup running in the shop to evac the cleaner recovery drums and test/clean the manifold sets and other setups.

I'm an on site tech for a facility so I don't have to load all this stuff in a van or truck. I have several cart setups that I can roll to each job or haul to roof tops ().

A lot of old 10+ ton stuff here; and so far not one R410 system on site.

I do have one almost unused R410 gauge set and a DRSA set, ready in case we do get a R410 system.
    jt

JP, No , originaly I had said accidentially it was a crack. meaning a void in the braze due to oil in line that ran to heat, found on pressure test, cust thought it was a cracked fitting. out of context. 2nd attempt repaired and system was tight, but not pretty .Long history with this unreasonable cust. Note we ate the time on this trip FREE BEE very angry was not nessary. Unit was operating fine. If they didnt hit it while install this would have not happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Realist View Post
    JP, No , originaly I had said accidentially it was a crack. meaning a void in the braze due to oil in line that ran to heat, found on pressure test, cust thought it was a cracked fitting. out of context. 2nd attempt repaired and system was tight, but not pretty .Long history with this unreasonable cust. Note we ate the time on this trip FREE BEE very angry was not nessary. Unit was operating fine. If they didnt hit it while install this would have not happened.
    That part didn't come through in any of your posts.

A Quack is a person who pretends,professionally or publicly,to have skill,knowledge,or qualifications he or she does not possess. This is from Wikipedia.
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

ColdQuack Guest

Smile Quack

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bee View Post
    A Quack is a person who pretends,professionally or publicly,to have skill,knowledge,or qualifications he or she does not possess. This is from Wikipedia.
    Yeah, While I don't claim to know it all, or think that I do, I have enough experience and qualifications to get by. I am a bit of a Quack cause I know I can always learn more. This field of work is ever changing and you never know it all, whether YOU believe it or not Bee. I am on HVAC-talk for that reason, and I'd even go as far to say you could learn something from me and visa-versa. Let's all drop the attitudes and maybe this forum could be more useful. Good day.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast