Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 63
  1. #1
    ColdQuack Guest

    Dedicated set of manifold gauges?

    Not sure why they make one set of manifold gauges that you can use R22,404 and R410a with. I wouldn't use the same gauges for R22 that I use with R410 cause of the chance of mixing R22 in the other systems. I got a dedicated set of manifold gauges just for use with R410a. I havent seen R407C only gauges. Has anyone else?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    24,946
    Boy.
    Good thing I disagree with you, or I'd only have room in my truck for manifold gauges.

    I regularly work with about 12 different refrigerants

    12, 134, 401a, 401b, 22, 407c, 401a, 402a, 402b, 404a, 502, and 507.

    Yeah. I'm sure glad I don't have to carry a dedicated set for every refrigerant I work with.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    147
    Well jp, (not trying to say your wrong and I mean no offence) I know guys who do carry a different set of manifold guages for each referigerant that they use, about 10 sets if I remember correctly. They mostly do start-up work and use the braided hoses to boot. And too answer your question ColdQuack you have too order 407c guages from your local supply house ( I ordered mine on tuesday). I carry about 5 manifold guage sets, one for each of the referigerants I work with and a dedicated set for recovery on systems with acid in them. This is an open ended question, Im sure that you will get many different opinions on how many manifolds to carry, so its probally best that you decide whats best for you.

  4. #4
    ColdQuack Guest

    OK thanks "Oh Great One"

    Wow JP, you sure are special to use only one guage set for all them there refrigerants! I wish I was as special. I normally work with almost all those you listed, but I have a whopping 3 sets of gauges, and only one of those is for R410a. I'm sure you don't think I would buy one set for each refrigerant...but I'm not as cool & smart as you be.

    P.S. I have lots of Mechanical rooms to put as many guages as I want into. I don't drive around in a crappy van anymore.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nw.Connecticut
    Posts
    296
    Purge , Purge ,Purge no trouble , I come across at least 4 refs. regulary 22,404a,502,410a However have 3 sets of gauges JB,YJ, Testo. Would I need 4 reclaimers too???

  6. #6
    ColdQuack Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdQuack View Post
    Wow JP, you sure are special to use only one guage set for all them there refrigerants! I wish I was as special. I normally work with almost all those you listed, but I have a whopping 3 sets of gauges, and only one of those is for R410a. I'm sure you don't think I would buy one set for each refrigerant...but I'm not as cool & smart as you be.

    P.S. I have lots of Mechanical rooms to put as many guages as I want into. I don't drive around in a crappy van anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Realist View Post
    Purge , Purge ,Purge no trouble , I come across at least 4 refs. regulary 22,404a,502,410a However have 3 sets of gauges JB,YJ, Testo. Would I need 4 reclaimers too???
    What do you mean would I need 4 reclaimers too? I didnt say you couldnt use the same gauges. But I heard its better to use R410 guages separate than R22 or other guages. Do what ever you want to do.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    new england
    Posts
    587
    I'm sure JP doesn't drive a crappy van...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nw.Connecticut
    Posts
    296

    Smile

    Sorry BAD DAY, But purge the set and should have no trouble with cross ref. contamination . I do use different gauge sets for different applications. Is what I ment , as long as the gauges are of the correct scale /pressure capabillity.

  9. #9
    ColdQuack Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Realist View Post
    Sorry BAD DAY, But purge the set and should have no trouble with cross ref. contamination . I do use different gauge sets for different applications. Is what I ment , as long as the gauges are of the correct scale /pressure capabillity.
    I understand this. So in other words, its ok to use what ever combination guages for whatever they are made for as long as we purge and dont contaminate different systems. Sweet! I feel so much better now and smarter too. Thanks

  10. #10
    ColdQuack Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fitzyfitta View Post
    I'm sure JP doesn't drive a crappy van...
    No, but he sure has a crappy smart-ass attitude.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    18
    I generally keep (4) sets of Manifold Gauges. IMHO you cannot purge oil from hoses.

    Set 1: Mineral Oil Systems; R-22, R-12, etc.
    Set 2: POE/AB Systems: R-404a, R-134a, R-507, etc.
    Set 3: R-410a: I know its POE, but runs a higher pressure
    Set 4: Junker: Recovering a burn-out

    Also keep a low side gauge and high side gauge on stubs to put on critically charged systems to minimize loss.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    East Coast FL
    Posts
    1,051
    Hey vans are kool

    Personally , with purging , dont think that tiny bit of wrong oil is going to harm a system.

    Unless you are working on a 1/64 hp.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    18
    Or your running R507 at -60C with a 24" of Hg Suction.

    Anecdote: A wise old man was once asked what belonged in a refrigeration system. Thats obvious says the old man, refrigerant and oil. Oil his student asked, any kind? No was the retort, only the kind it needs.

    Seriously though, low temp, med temp, hi temp, air conditioner, ice machine, or freeze-dryer, I take comfort in knowing that the POE from the Air Conditioner I just worked on does not end up in the Mineral Oil of the Freezer I just fixed. May not cause any problems, May not.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event