Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    we are going into the 2ed full week of 100 plus degrees, and to top it all off the moisture from this huricane that hit Texas is spilling over to S Cal. To say the least our phones have been very active.We have averaged 20 calls a day plus 1 to 2 installs and people seem to be just plan rude, and very disrespectful. I am at my shop at 2 AM just to clean out my truck and get ready to go. I love the business just really need a break. Any advise would be wecome. Oh Ya thinghs that really piss me off last week. After hours call 10 PM then fight abouut the charge because it was just a fuse, 2 done with installing blower motor with guy standing over me then told I will have to wait for him to go to the ATM to get my money,3 same customer calls every hour to check on when we will be coming this went on the whole day. 4 installer (son) walks off of roof top install at 2 pm said it was too hot to work while the rest of us worked to 8 pm. There is more but you get the idea.

Making a living

If I cant make a living doing this from 8 - 5 than Im in the wrong bussness ! I put them on a list and get to them during regular working hours . Theres plenty other ac companys out there to handle the load , They were there before I sarted in bussness and they will be there when im gone . Raise your prices and stick to it . People will make the time to get the work done during regular hours . bh
    My avatar is a picture of a Goodman Silencer .....These were commonly used in Goodman country ....Photos by hvac tech ( PaysonHVAC )

Talking

a small cooler with ice in it and some wash cloths(or new rags)in a plastic bag "wet them down first"....couple of spare tee shirts and deoderant.do that routine and you'll be good till you run out of gas or freon!!!!!it is so hot back east in NYC the pigeons are standing in the shade(they love that tower water).a nice ride along PCH will do it tooooooooooooooo say Long Beach to NewportBeach and a Mike's Hard lime/lemonade!
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Wet the tee shirt, wring it out, then put it on.

Drink Gatorade mixed at half the concentration they recommend. Walmart sells it in powder form.

Tell them that for the price of an after-hours service call they can spend the night at a nice hotel with a/c, a pool and free HBO. Usually they'll ask to be re-scheduled for Monday.

Also, take a 5 minute break every half-hour, drink lots of water or gatorade, and get yourself a cool tie.
    "If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a KA." - Albert Einstein

It's later than you think.

spike the gatorade- by 8pm, you won't feel the tension of t he day ???
    Da Threadkilla

#4. Maybe you will have to give him credit for brains.

Had one tech out for 2 days after succumbing to the heat on the weekend. Don't know what he did or didn't do but he did get sick. Some take the heat better than others.

Personally, I think he should have taken a break and cooled down for a bit and went back, but once the heat hits you, ....well, you know.

ATM- we would have charged another 15 or 30 min for his trip to the atm. Teach him a lesson. I get chewed if I don't charge for the time I finish paperwork in the driveway before heading to the next call.

Fuse and a manifold pressure check, right? And a quick look at the indoor? One hour minimum?

ATM, I just tell them to hand me the card and charge it right there. Had a guy do that to me and never returned.
    HVAC Contractor, Tyler Texas.

Here is a web site from the ca. iso electricuseage..
    http://www.caiso.com/outlook/SystemStatus.html

I feel your anguish roncool, here in Vegas we had 10 days above 115 degrees , broke records up the ying yang, 140 degrees in attics,.Kinda sux when ya have to wear gloves just to set up your ladder,lol

Ya cant make every customer always happy, they think they are the only one on earth without AC, I actually had a Lady scream and cuss me out at the front door because I was Early for the appointment, she didnt b....h about it taking 5-6 days to get there , but yelled about that i was early, my god, I kindly said to her, well maam, I can fix it now or reshedule you in about 7 days, needless to say she shut the Hell up real fast.

Hang in there, fall is coming,lol

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Ron ,

I know it gets tough in the busy time,but ask yourself or your friends how the feel when "something" breaks,it just puts people in a bad mood,even if the repair is under warranty at no cost,so it's not just the money.Hang in there.

We haven't been near as hot but sure have had the humidity. I think dash is sending it up, feels like Florida. I was in an unvented attic for 20 minutes yesterday, haven't felt good since. Normally we only do attics 1st call but since this was a warranty unit, I went. We looked like we had been sprayed with the hose when we came down, that sweaty! I don't know how you boys in hotter climates do attics & roofs. I was on a roof Wed for 1.5 hours and the old dome was a glowing!

In my area the humidity is what we don't deal with on a daily basis. ya we get it every summer but it does not stay. this year real bad so far. I really think you guys that deal with this in the south need a rase. It just tears you up.I can do 6 or 7 calls a day. inthe humidity I am lucky to get 4 in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast