Hi everyone! First time here and need to let you know… you guys are great. As a homeowner with little knowledge of HVAC equipment, I’ve learned more in a few hours here than in the previous three days. OK, here is the background:

Right after Christmas, the neighbor’s house burned down due to a faulty furnace. The rest of us became nervous and discovered all of us had defective units. Called a local HVAC firm and had a Trane model TUE080A948 with a TXC042C4HP coil and something called a TXV 10 SEER coil installed (after reading many posts here, I’m assuming the TXV is really just the expansion valve and not the whole coil). This was an upgrade from the original unit due to a remodel project due to be completed in about a month (went from 1450 to 1850 square feet). Anyway, we didn’t have the money to upgrade the condenser and I was due to deploy overseas two days later so couldn’t do much more. Fast forward to now.

I’m now back home, the weather has gotten hot, the system isn’t cooling, and the wife isn’t happy. Not surprising since the old unit is 2 ton and the HVAC contractor calculated we need a 3-1/2 ton. Trane has several different models with various efficiency ratings. So, my questions are:

What model condenser would you guys recommend I go with? Can I get any better performance than 10 SEER without swapping out the six-month old equipment? And finally, do I need to stay with a Trane condenser?

Again, thanks.

Russ

Yes you can use higher SEER with this unit. Just stick to R22, I think Trane has equipment in R22 right up to about 15 SEER or even 16. You will definetly pay a premium for the higher SEER rating. You can use a different brand with this coil don't know off hand what it would do to your SEER rating though.
    "Go big or Go Home"

in order to get higher efficency you need higher eff. evap coil. one size will not fit all. trane has up to 19 seer equipment but wont be 19 seer w/ 10 seer coil. you would have problems with refrigerant presures and eventualy end up replaceing the evap. coil. you can use a dif. brand condencer if done right. this may void the warrenty of the new condencer. if r-22 went in the evap coil first dont switch refrigerants.

3.5 tons for 1800+ sq ft,even if you go up in the norm standard of 350sq ft per ton to 400 sq ft per ton your still over 4 ton, tell your so called HVAC contractor to recalculate. 400sqft x 4 ton= 1600 sqft, see my point.

anything 13 seer or higher will need to match and upgrade the evap coil to match the condensor unit.

Keep in mind the new law being activated January 2006, this law mandates no manufacturer of HVAC equipment will be manufacturing any systems below 13 seer. so now is the time to do the job correctly, just a thought.

There are valid equipment matchups with everything up through Tranes XL15i outdoor units using the TXC042C4HP coil.
    The key thing is to have a load calculation performed so it is possible to correctly match the equipment for your home.

Originally posted by steamer
    3.5 tons for 1800+ sq ft,even if you go up in the norm standard of 350sq ft per ton to 400 sq ft per ton your still over 4 ton, tell your so called HVAC contractor to recalculate. 400sqft x 4 ton= 1600 sqft, see my point.
    I don't know where you are that your "rule of thumb" for system sizing is 350 to 400 sq ft per ton, but using that will result in a badly oversized system just about anywhere in the country, unless the house is very poorly insulated, etc.
    In the DFW area of Texas, our load calculations generally result in 500-550 sq ft per ton for homes with standard construction and crappy windows, and this is with design conditions of 100º ambient with indoor DB of 75º and WB of 63º.

If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Las Vegas, He's in California, wow if your standards were used here, we would have 1000 svce calls a day,lol

A decent 20 year old home with 2000-2500 sq ft can cool on 2.5 to 3 tons. Just had mid 90s with mid 100s heat index and 75 degree dewpoint yesterday. No complaints. Guess we know how to built good homes

Thats funny, 800 sq ft per ton.

Im at 2600 with 3 tons... Been above 98 all week, hasnt budged from set point.

Trane/American Standard

Originally posted by confused_in_sacramento
    Hi everyone! First time here and need to let you know… you guys are great. As a homeowner with little knowledge of HVAC equipment, I’ve learned more in a few hours here than in the previous three days. OK, here is the background:

Right after Christmas, the neighbor’s house burned down due to a faulty furnace. The rest of us became nervous and discovered all of us had defective units. Called a local HVAC firm and had a Trane model TUE080A948 with a TXC042C4HP coil and something called a TXV 10 SEER coil installed (after reading many posts here, I’m assuming the TXV is really just the expansion valve and not the whole coil). This was an upgrade from the original unit due to a remodel project due to be completed in about a month (went from 1450 to 1850 square feet). Anyway, we didn’t have the money to upgrade the condenser and I was due to deploy overseas two days later so couldn’t do much more. Fast forward to now.

I’m now back home, the weather has gotten hot, the system isn’t cooling, and the wife isn’t happy. Not surprising since the old unit is 2 ton and the HVAC contractor calculated we need a 3-1/2 ton. Trane has several different models with various efficiency ratings. So, my questions are:

What model condenser would you guys recommend I go with? Can I get any better performance than 10 SEER without swapping out the six-month old equipment? And finally, do I need to stay with a Trane condenser?

Again, thanks.

Russ
    Russ, the furnace is 48,000 blower and coil is 3.5 ton so best option would be Trane 2ATTR2042A1000A.
    This would give you the amount of btu's needed for the space you described.

And no you do NOT have to stay with Trane condenser , but why not match the system with design as close to you can.
    American Standard would also be another choice
    2A7A2036A1000A.. Also made at the sam factory as Trane but sold at a lower cost..Same Warranty.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Originally posted by steamer
    Las Vegas, He's in California, wow if your standards were used here, we would have 1000 svce calls a day,lol
    But it is DRY heat!
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I suggest if you are going with a higher SEER unit go with a variable speed AH. The XL19i available in 2.5, 3.0, 4.0, and 5.0 ton which currently has the highest SEER, which is R22 and in the 3 ton configuration use the TWE040E13. This config actually provides 37,800 BTUH @19 SEER.
    The 4 ton XL19i coupled to the TWE049E13 provides 49,000BTUH @ 17.50 SEER or coupled to a TWE065E13 provides 49,500BTUH @ 17 SEER.

I would imagine if you go with the XL14i 2TTX4042A 3.5ton R22 15SEER, coupled to a TWE AH will give you similar BTUH as above.

As far as 400sqft per ton, that's one of those rule of thumb estimates that does not apply to all locaions or home configurations etc.. A heat load calc is the only way to get what size is actually needed. If a contractor tells you rule of thumb, tell him thanks but no thanks!

The last I have seen AS does not give you full 10yrs when installed as a complete system ( 10yrs condensor, 5yr AH), Trane gives you 10 yrs on parts for both the AH and condensor when insatalled as a system.

[Edited by kevinmac on 08-05-2005 at 10:54 AM]