Fire On The Roof!!!
    When I arrived at the jobsite this morning ... word was spreading FAST about a fire on one of the work area roofs last night!

This is a public high school in a ritzy lake area.

First order of business for most of the piping crew this morning was ... POLICE THE AREA!

In laymen's terms = pick up all flamables.

Some how the super for the GC got the impression the fire was due to someone brazing pipe joints near the point of origin.

By the end of the shift ... the rumor circulating was the fire was probably started by those live wires which the Sparky's left outside the disco.

As it turned out, all of the fire extinguishers were being gathered up and distributed to the pipe fitters.
    In the process of doing that, it was discovered they WERE ALL OUT OF DATE CODE!!!

hmmmm..... makes ya wonder whose watching out for the interests of the school.

Things should be getting hairy as we approach the crunch date when the students return.... OUCH!!!

That reminds me of a few years ago i see this black smoke towering in the sky,so i turn the radio news on & it`s a building i put 7 -5 ton roof tops on.I`m thinking aw s--t i better go see whats up. I get there the building burnt to the ground & 7 a/c are now laying in a pile all twisted & burnt up.I ask the fire inspector what caused the fire?
    He says gas leak in a/c unit. I says thats amazing how that happened seeing as there heat pumps & theres no gas to the building.He says look at the gas line there. I SAYS STUPID THATS CONDUIT.

Originally posted by bigbird
    I SAYS STUPID THATS CONDUIT.
    We have such a person on this project. He works for the GC.

He is responsbile for most of the bottle necks on this project.

I am learning to just deal with it. Trying not to let it get under my skin.

As my co-worker and I were picking up trash, before the sun rose .... he said; "and to think I went to college and here I am picking up trash!"

Yea buddy ... me too

discovered they WERE ALL OUT OF DATE CODE
    Discovery after the fact is a crime. We always set a fireplan before work starts. Its the only way.

It never fails come spring and fall new people that work around high rises call 911 because of the steam from the cooling towers coming off the roof. The FD has to respond and it kinda pisses them off since they already know what it is.

Talking

mattm It never fails come spring and fall new people that work around high rises call 911 because of the steam from the cooling towers coming off the roof. The FD has to respond and it kinda pisses them off since they already know what it is.

I worked in a commercial laundry once and every year when you first started the air handlers , the dust in them would set off the fire larm and there was nothing you could do to stop them from comming out. This would happen every day for about a week then once the dust and lint was clear , it would be fine

isnt it nice to have someone so important (fire inspector) come out and blame the gas line ---shoot , if they hadnt ran gas through the conduit it wouldnt have burned

We installed new hvac system with ductwork in older home last october. in december, the house burned down. Insurance man was hell-bent that the fire started in the new electric furnace. HO stated the first sign they see is smoke coming from attic above the electrical panel.
    Finally convinced inspector that if furnace was problem, smoke would have been seen coming out of supply or return registers.
    We just installed new system for HO in their new home.

We have a company come and inspect every fire extinguisher on every truck once a year. The guy charges $20 per fire extinguisher, and all he does is look at the needle on the fire extinguisher. if it says good, he just slaps a new tag on it and says $20 please. Hell if I had 50 or 60 fire extinguishers in my building, I'd just do an anual "self inspection" --- sure is a hell of a lot cheaper than $1200 for someone else to look at the tag!

I have a story to tell you.

My father helped one of his friends build a garage. They dug the footings (Northern Illinois), poured concrete, did all the stud walls, rafters, roofing, electrical, the whole 9 yards. When they turned on the first circuit breakers in the panel in the garage, a fireball erupted. When it settled down to an even flame, the homeowner, not wanting to lose his new garage, stepped up and blew out the flame. It turned out that they ran the ground rod conductor out of the panel and underground in a conduit. By freak of chance, when they drove the ground rod, they punctured a plastic natural gas pipe. The leaking gas followed the grounding conductor up to and through the conduit and into the electrical panel. My father now has a T-shirt that says he runs a "Gas & Electric" company.

Regards,
    Rotorbar

Isn't it scary how some ignoramus can blame the HVAC for fires, then look at you for answers. Liability insurance sure is comforting.

Originally posted by ct_hvac_tech
    We have a company come and inspect every fire extinguisher on every truck once a year. The guy charges $20 per fire extinguisher, and all he does is look at the needle on the fire extinguisher. if it says good, he just slaps a new tag on it and says $20 please. Hell if I had 50 or 60 fire extinguishers in my building, I'd just do an anual "self inspection" --- sure is a hell of a lot cheaper than $1200 for someone else to look at the tag!
    If not for his letterhead on which is written "I'm a licensed fire prevention contractor and I inspected XX fire extinguishers for XX on XX-XX-XXXX". Laws can make people money in so many different ways.

Originally posted by R12rules

Some how the super for the GC got the impression the fire was due to someone brazing pipe joints near the point of origin.

Well, we know it could'nt be the hot brazing rod stubs thrown onto the rubber... because you're saving them in a can of water for later!