Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey Teddy Bear

Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    Yes the coil will get to 20^F with 63^F after a slight build up of ice on the coil. The coil temp will be +15^F colder than the dew point of the air entering the dehu. As ice builds, the coil gets colder while removing moisture. At 20^F, the compressor stops while the fan continues until the coil warms to 53^F.
    Catch the moisture removed during this process to check the capacity.
    Keep me posted.
    Got hot and steamy for a couple days, then back to early spring weather.
    Regards TB
    Okay in a 24 hr. period, it removed two cups of moisture. My recordings show four 25 min single cycles(no defrosting) but I "may" have restarted my recording after a cycle, not sure! So that would mean either 100 min or 125 min of ON time.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    Okay in a 24 hr. period, it removed two cups of moisture. My recordings show four 25 min single cycles(no defrosting) but I "may" have restarted my recording after a cycle, not sure! So that would mean either 100 min or 125 min of ON time.
    On four 25 min. cycles very little moisture will be removed. In 25 mins., the coil is saturated and starts to drip to the drain. The coil holds a couple lbs. of moisture, which is enough to satisfy the dehumidistat. During the off cycle, the moisture on the the coil re-evaporates back to the space. Enough moisture in the air but no much enough to keep the dehu operating. Four 25 min. cycles cost 1-2 kw per day to keep the space at the set point. Keep us posted as the humidity load increases.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

What to do with my Santa Fe?

Our residence is located in Wicomico County Maryland. In the fall of 2007 we had the following done to improve crawlspace conditions:

1. All fiberglass insulation removed from ceiling of crawlspace.
    2. All wood members treated with Boracare to prevent damage from wood destroying organisms.
    3. 10 mil polyethylene ground cover installed in crawlspace for moisture control.
    4. 1-1/2” of Urethane R11 spray foam applied 6” above ground to underside of sheathed floor, included joist ends and ribbon boards.
    5. Sealed all vents.
    6. Installed Sante Fe Advanced with duct kit, 45 ft 8”stove pipe, and condensate pump to pump outside of crawlspace.
    7. Installed La Crosse WS-8610U wireless Data Logging Weather Station with 2 remote digital temperature and humidity sensor transmitters.

The Santa Fe Advanced worked very well for the first 2-1/2 years. The conditions in my 4500cf crawlspace averaged 70° with 40% RH. Then during the winter of 2009/2010 it developed a running noise which was louder, harder than it had been in the past. Didn’t think anything about it until spring came and temp and RH started to increase outside and inside the crawlspace. No longer could the unit hold RH at set point. Conditions were the same as they were for the first 2-1/2 years. Something changed. I manually defrosted the coil by running just the fan for 24 hours @ 65° ambient temp. Unit ran fine after defrost, >128 oz of condensate was pumped out for the first 12 hours. Then it was down hill from there. Temp 65° with 60%RH and only pumped out < 16oz of condensate. Over the next 24 hours, 55% RH was as low as it would get @ 66°. ThermaStor and I both felt the coil was icing solid. ThermaStor suggested checking the defrost switch. So I put in the freezer and checked with VOM. Switch did what it was supposed to do - open at 22-25° and close at 55°. When the unit had defrosted completely (ran just the fan for 48 hours) the exhaust air was measured inside the duct collar on top of the SFA. Δt = 12-13°. After 12 hour run, the unit iced up again. I let the installer take and test it out. He says “No problem” it worked fine on the work bench. Unit was reinstalled in crawlspace. Two days later same problem. Run for 12 hours, plenty of condensate and the RH was lowering to 55% down from 79% @ 64° and then the RH started to rise and leveled off at 57% @66°. At this point, I just ordered the defrost switch and replaced the original. Unit was tested in crawlspace 3 days with no problem. Unit ran over fall of 2010. Now we’re back to May again and the unit can’t maintain set point. What happened over the winter? This time when I checked the Δt=5-7°. Called ThermaStor. Technician said the unit was low on refrigerant. Between repair and shipping would be between $500-600. If I have it repaired, how long before the next failure? The Santa Fe Advance seems to be a top notch unit when it’s running correctly. For me over the past 5 years, it has only run correctly for a little more than half the time. Send back for repairs, buy a new SFA in hopes that it doesn’t have the same problems, or buy a different brand all together. What I have read in this forum tells me that I’m not the only kid on the block with defrost issues. So, what do I do? I don’t mind paying top dollar for a unit that runs at the top.

I agree with "low on refrigerant". Is it possible to have the checked for a refrigerant leak and recharges. Otherwise, I suggest return to TS, have them repair or replace. Make your case about 2.5 years of good use and all the problems. If you have a serious problem, I am sure an adjustment can be be made on a new one. My ext. at TS is 8448, if you need some help.
    Keep me post on the resolution.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy

I have noticed while monitoring cycles that my SFA will at times go into the defrost cycle for a few minutes before shutting off. I also noticed that it will at times start up in the defrost cycle also.

Due to time compression of the screens on my logging device these short time frames are hard to see. I finally caught a few before time compression took place.

It turned OFF while defrost cycle and two hours later turned ON while in defrost cycle. At a ambient temperature of 67F wouldn't it defrost itself in two hours? Granted much faster with the fan running.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    I have noticed while monitoring cycles that my SFA will at times go into the defrost cycle for a few minutes before shutting off. I also noticed that it will at times start up in the defrost cycle also.

Due to time compression of the screens on my logging device these short time frames are hard to see. I finally caught a few before time compression took place.

It turned OFF while defrost cycle and two hours later turned ON while in defrost cycle. At a ambient temperature of 67F wouldn't it defrost itself in two hours? Granted much faster with the fan running.
    Defrost in a cool space could take several hours without air movement through the cabinet. The coil must warm up to 52^F. I have noticed when dehumidifying to 50%RH and low basement temperatures, the dew point of the air leaving the dehu will be well below 32^F. This indicates that coil is dehumidifying by freezing moisture on the coil.

Regards TB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12