Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FX10

Hybrid View

FX10

Got a client looking to install a bunch (over 500 eventually) new heat pumps. They are available with the FX10. Literature says Bacnet is 19200 and folks on here say to stay away. I have an FX20 in the building already. I may need to add another (FX60 70 or whatever) later to handle all of them, but looking for info on which way to advise. N2 is fine with me and have that on some stuff in the building now. I can do these on LON if necessary. Each floor is 60 units. I would rather not have multiple trunks on a floor and with the indicated bacnet problems and 40 total advised per trunk, I would probably lean them toward N2. Any insite from yall would be great to help with the decision. Thanks

Just a thought, but N2 is going away. It may be a year or 2 but I wouldn't feel good selling my customer a legacy protocol that I knew was on its way out. Why not Bacnet? JCI is now going with Bacnet on thier new controllers.

Only 40 per trunk. I have 60 per floor. 19200 baud. I was reading on here about folks having a hard time with the BACNET being very slow and communication issues with the FX10. If it were bacnet/IP it might be better but MS/TP seems to be limited. I have a ton of n2 experience but not as much bacnet and lon. I was hoping someone would have used these before and could steer me away from the known problems. Not tied to n2, but I have some in the building now. Any advice is welcome. JCI is trying to get away from n2. The new controller, PGC?, doesnt even have N2. That screws everybody in the retrofit market from using it, unless we start to pull new trunks everywhere as the buildings convert. But if they are gonna force a convert, then they will force alot of clents to other systems. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by prostock View Post
    Only 40 per trunk. I have 60 per floor. 19200 baud. I was reading on here about folks having a hard time with the BACNET being very slow and communication issues with the FX10. If it were bacnet/IP it might be better but MS/TP seems to be limited. I have a ton of n2 experience but not as much bacnet and lon. I was hoping someone would have used these before and could steer me away from the known problems. Not tied to n2, but I have some in the building now. Any advice is welcome. JCI is trying to get away from n2. The new controller, PGC?, doesnt even have N2. That screws everybody in the retrofit market from using it, unless we start to pull new trunks everywhere as the buildings convert. But if they are gonna force a convert, then they will force alot of clents to other systems. Just my 2 cents.
    Should we a send a thank you note for this?

Talking

LOL. I doesn't matter. Jci controls group historicly is carried
    by auto and battery. They will never go away! I am an old asc / gpl /dx /pmi guy so I can make their stuff work. Now doing the fx line so I had big hopes for the
    Pgc stuff. But jci has set me back again. Oh well, life goes on. Do you
    have any experience with fx10 boards?

by auto and battery. They will never go away! I am an old asc / gpl /dx /pmi guy so I can make their stuff work. Now doing the fx line so I had big hopes for the
    Good day ProStock,

Apparently JCI is discontinuing the smaller FX product line (FX10 and downward and possible the FX20?) and so you may wish to consider this in your design, as supply and support will obviously dwindle over time. Now, JCI has stated that they will support the discontinued models (i.e. repair, etc), but I would imagine the support cost would be pricey...

Cheers,

Sam

Primarily on this end is the FX06, 07 and 15 when FORCED to deal with....

"Limited" and PITA to deal with IMO

prostock,
    We sell the product line (FX Field Gear) My moderate experience with the FX-07/14/15/16 has been with N2 and BACnet (commercial Zoning stuff, yuck). A co-worker had had lots of difficulties with the LON versions. After further thought I say go with the FX-10 N2 version. What kind of a Network manager are you planning to use ?

I do have to second Chris's comments.

s2sam, you did clarify, no apology needed. Accept mine as I missed it, sorry !!

I won't be disapointed if the FX-Field Gear goes away as long as we get another N2 device (JCI has implied that we will see an FX-PC N2 version possibly late 2011/early 2012, Really ????) to replace the FX-Field gear/Legacy ASC's.

I guess since N2 is "...going the way of the turd.." as some have put it the massive numbers of legacy devices out there are doomed to obsolesence, NOT !

If you really think about it, almost every manufacturer has some kind of gottcha with their stuff. Carrier, Trane, York (JCI own's them and they don't use JCI controls ?) McQuay etc all have proprietary software. Some allow non-OEM's to buy it, some don't. So explain why N2 is so "Doomed" please ?

Kinda Hi-Jacked, sorry.
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

Stand alone stuff I really like the FX-07 and the FX-15, BTW

Primarily due to the local display on "a" piece of equipment.

There is NO way "I" would ever again implement anything JCI on a broad scale until some major issues have been proven to be resolved beyond a reasonable shadow of doubt. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by CCIKelly View Post
    <snip>
    s2sam, you did clarify, no apology needed. Accept mine as I missed it, sorry !!

I won't be disapointed if the FX-Field Gear goes away as long as we get another N2 device (JCI has implied that we will see an FX-PC N2 version possibly late 2011/early 2012, Really ????) to replace the FX-Field gear/Legacy ASC's.

I guess since N2 is "...going the way of the turd.." as some have put it the massive numbers of legacy devices out there are doomed to obsolesence, NOT !

If you really think about it, almost every manufacturer has some kind of gottcha with their stuff. Carrier, Trane, York (JCI own's them and they don't use JCI controls ?) McQuay etc all have proprietary software. Some allow non-OEM's to buy it, some don't. So explain why N2 is so "Doomed" please ?

Kinda Hi-Jacked, sorry.
    Good day CCI,

Indeed, this may be the subject of another thread, but in response to your comments/questions...

No problems about missing my follow-up post, as I should have been more direct and/or clarified my previous FX-20 comment.

As for N2... if you or anyone else had the impression that I am a N2 doom-sayer, then I must also clarify as I am absolutely not... quite the opposite! Despite what others have stated, I feel that N2 is going to be around for some time either with or without JCI's involvement. I see and speak to so many big boys that have tons of N2 installed which translates to large $$$ invested in the N2 infrastructure. If JCI or others think that these companies/institutions are simply going to rip out and replace perfectly working n2 installs in order to use some new gear, then they are talking to a whole lot different group than I speak with. For the people I speak with, they have just too much invested to simply throw it all away for simply no net gain (i.e. economic payback given the replacement cost and new features... and possibly new bugs ... introduced). Do I think N2 is going to around forever? No, but I do see it around for sometime if for anything to allow some of those customers with large n2 investments to transition over to newer technologies.

On a secondary note, because of the smaller FX controller discontinuance, I have a number of my larger customers having my firm prepare possible custom solutions for them. Consequently, even if JCI does punt N2, I am certain that there will be options available... either by my firm or I am sure by others.

Cheers,

Sam
    Last edited by s2sam; 04-30-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Grammer

Looking through the other threads it seems that if you're using the FX10 (or it's re-branded twin sister) their LON implementation leaves as much to be desired as their BACnet implementation.

the fx stuff is now made by distech controls the older line was made by carel

Thumbs up

by the way it works well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast