working on a 5 ton heil cond. unit. unit was installed in new home and before it ever got turned on,it got a hole knocked in the cond, about 1/16.of course lost all the freon and some oil[there was oil residue around cond]. contractor decided he would fix it. so hole was silver soldered up ,and recharged.now unit is up and running,cools fine but has a high pitch sound coming into the house through the lines.this is a scroll compressor,orig. holds 55oz of oil.is there any way to deterime how much oil should be added back in this unit or do you just use a educated guess.looking at the unit if i was to pour 6-8 oz i think it would make about the same mess!i'm thinking this may be why the unit is noisy.any suggestions? thanks lear0

Before the system was recharged, I'd cut the compressor out, and pour its oil in a graduate, and then added the amount of oil it was short.
    And then reinstalled the compressor.

No other way to know for sure.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

i think your right,but as everyone stands around this unit [builder,homeowner,guy who knocked hole in it]looking for someone to blame. i hate to put that much time and materials into this and when i'm done it's still making noise guess who's in the hotseat then! i think before i did all that i would just recommend replacement and know you have it fixed.i would like to try and just eject some oil into the system and see if it quiets down and if not,not much lost. do you think 5-6-7 ozs, has a possibilty of helping this or am i just wasting time? thanks lear0

IMHO if it's already squealing it's a vampire, you know, the walking dead.

Lightbulb be sure to

be sure to pump the unit down 2-3- times to return any oil that may be pooling in the line-set or elsewhere. then replace oil.