I am looking at adding a 1.5 ton unit in the attic of my 100 year old house to supply the 2nd story with a/c. I would want to mount the outside unit at ground level. What is the max height you can run the refrigerant lines? I just want to make sure this is possible, because I am looking at a height of about 35' with an additional horz run of 30'.
    The unit I am looking at is a 12 seer Rheem/Ruud.
    Thanks,

[Edited by hopeless on 07-19-2005 at 10:18 PM]

I would recommend a 2ton and your good for 35ft 50 or over you would nee to go to 7/8 lineset dont forget liquid line drier.

igwt777 is offline Professional Member - T&B bad email address
    Originally posted by a+hobie
    I would recommend a 2ton and your good for 35ft 50 or over you would nee to go to 7/8 lineset dont forget liquid line drier.
    a+hobie

How can you recommend a 2Ton A/C system with the information provided ??????????? If there is a way I am more than interested in learning that method !!!!!

Hopeless,

What does your contractor reccomend?? Are you concerned that he's making a bad choice?

Before you up size that unit, does your second floor really need 1.5 tons, or is it closer to a ton. You might lose about a third.

With the condenser on the ground there shouldn't be any reason to increase the size of the vapor line. 65' isn't that long.

You should consult the manufacture for their requirements, they are the ones that can turn down your warranty, if you have trouble later.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I am second guessing everything. I got burned really bad with the ac system that cools the main level of my house with insurance provided contractors that did not know what they were doing.

The second story is 1200sqft with lots of old big windows in full sun and no insulation. The trees all died and had to be taken down, so no shade. I think 1.5 ton is a good bet over a 1 ton.

In that case, instead of betting, you should insist a load calc be done.

Your liquid line will have approx, 17.5 psi pressure loss, on the rise and 35' horizontal run,( doesn't include els or bends) thats within tolerence of most systems.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?