Question

We have been living in our new “cookie cutter, development” home for a year and a half. We paid extra for a “high efficiency” heater/air conditioner. Ever since the beginning of last summer I have complained about the efficiency of the a/c – on days over 90 it has a hard time maintaining 76 degrees. So far they have found a kinked vapor line, refrigerant leaks, and disconnected and unsecured ductwork. All have been repaired, but just this week I learned that our model of home is supposed to get a 3.5 ton a/c unit, and I have only a 3 ton. The builder has agreed a replacement is warranted, but as you can imagine I don't thrust the builder's contractor further than I can spit – they have lied to me before. The current condenser is a Lennox 13ACC-036, the coil model # is CX34-44/48C-6F. Will this coil match a 3.5 ton condenser? What should I expect when they swap out the condenser? Is there anything I can watch for to make sure they are doing the job correctly?

Originally posted by stanheer
    We have been living in our new “cookie cutter, development” home for a year and a half. We paid extra for a “high efficiency” heater/air conditioner. Ever since the beginning of last summer I have complained about the efficiency of the a/c – on days over 90 it has a hard time maintaining 76 degrees. So far they have found a kinked vapor line, refrigerant leaks, and disconnected and unsecured ductwork. All have been repaired, but just this week I learned that our model of home is supposed to get a 3.5 ton a/c unit, and I have only a 3 ton. The builder has agreed a replacement is warranted, but as you can imagine I don't thrust the builder's contractor further than I can spit – they have lied to me before. The current condenser is a Lennox 13ACC-036, the coil model # is CX34-44/48C-6F. Will this coil match a 3.5 ton condenser? What should I expect when they swap out the condenser? Is there anything I can watch for to make sure they are doing the job correctly?
    Coil is 44,000/48,000 btu or 4.0 ton you could match it with 042 condenser but make sure the change the piston in the evaporator to match new outdoor, drier and vacuum system.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

cx34 coil is a r-410 coil with expansion valve factory mounted for r-410. lennox does not show this coil as a match for any 13acc units. make sure they have either installed r-22 txv or piston.

Thanks for your quick responses. I wish I had found this site last year! Now I am reminded of another question. The original installers left a small plastic bag, unopened, stuck to the heater cabinet – Lennox part # 42J5101. If I have figured out the information in my owner's manual, it is a Chatleff expansion valve sized for the 3 ton condenser unit. During one of the many visits the contractor's tech made trying to solve my cooling problems, I asked for an explanation as to why it was not installed. He either could not or would not give me an answer; just that I didn't need to worry about it. Does anybody have a better answer? Is this the “piston” Air and Ed mentioned?
    Thanks, again.

42j51 is the piston that came with the 13acc-036 unit. that piston or a r-22 txv should have been installed in that coil in place of factory mounted valve.