Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    I was asked this today.Do you think techs that sweat excessively give your company a bad impression? I have to agree. If a techs walks into one of our customers buildings all wet and sweaty it looks bad. Customers dont care if its hot out, sweat= poor hygene in their eyes. Thoughts?

I think sweaty people are protected under ADA.

Are we talking sweaty, or wet dog smelling sweaty?
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

I sweat like a pig so I change shirts a few times a day when it’s real hot

Also since I am the boss I get to stop for a shower or dunk in the pool from time to time

If you are worried about it issue them a few extra uniforms and ask them to change when the get soaked they will probably be more comfortable anyway

our company has had 4 complaints about one of our techs sweating profusly. I guess some of the women in there were offended. He wears cotton t-shirts under his uniform yet he still get drenched. We told him to see a doctor it could be a heart condition. He got pissed. Now i think we should just fire him.The complaining customers dont want him in their buildings. Now we have problem!

You better get it documented. Give it to him in writing that he must improve his personal hygene or he's canned.

Never had anyone complain, many sympathize with us working in heat.

I could see complaining if you were dripping sweat on stuff while working in ceiling, etc. Or smelt really bad. Its not the most intelligent person who would have an issue with the guy working in heat so you don't?

Maybe they should read their Bible more? "Where there is no ox, the crib is clean, but by the ox cometh much increase."
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

I can see it being a problem if the guy is showing up sweaty at the beginning of the call, but anyone that complains about someone being sweaty after they have been working out in the heat can just piss off.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

T-shirts

We issue company logo t-shirts for our techs to ware on the roofs. They are required to great the customer in uniform but are permitted to remove the uniform shirt when on the roof. This helps with the sweating problem and also helps the tech stay cool in the Florida sun. We ask that anytime they are going to be in front of the customer they are to ware the uniform shirt.

I know some of our more hefty techs carry several t-shirts for the day.

I am a profuse sweater and I am in sales. I try to choose clothing that "hides" sweat because I also think it's not a good appearance. Dark pants and white Polo shirts work best for me.

I haven’t heard about excessive sweating and heart condition. I have hypertension and take blood pressure meds. Thanks lowtemp, I’ll ask my Doc about the excessive sweating.

lowtemp

you actually going to fire someone because they perspire? get *****n real! that has to one of the most dumbass things i have ever heard!! have him change uniforms during the day, but talk of firing a person over sweat is uncalled for
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

Re: lowtemp

Originally posted by 1972torino
    you actually going to fire someone because they perspire? get *****n real! that has to one of the most dumbass things i have ever heard!! have him change uniforms during the day, but talk of firing a person over sweat is uncalled for
    I dont think its about sweating, I believe its about refusing to getting it checked out at the doctor to see if its something serious. Health should never be ignored by any management. It could turn into a serious workers comp issue.

I had a guy who sweated so much just driving into work before even starting any labor. He was a larger fellow, but it was just pooring off him. I asked him to get it check out, he got pissed off and ignored it. Latter on after a slew of call backs, I had a random drug test done. Turned out he was nicely medicated on pain killers and admitted to a problem. We let him go.

The key is to trust, but verify!

[Edited by jasonhoustontx on 07-19-2005 at 07:56 PM]

I know a lady that thinks sweaty guys are hot. It might be just the guys that don't like them. Oh ya, horses sweat, men perspire, and women glow. I heard that somewhere. Also check blood preasure.
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck

I was helping my buddy unload his bandy-new riding lawn mower this evening. He said,"what are you sweating for?" I said," because I'm human."

Up here in Vermont we only have a couple of weeks where this sweating could be a problem. Most of the time you have to worry about snot running out of your nose when you are talking to a customer.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast