Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not cooling well

Post Likes
    hello ..im trying to fix my ac unit..i bought the house new ten years ago and it came with a bdp air conditioner the house is 1900 sq feet..im not sure of the tons.. i get 60 to 63 deg out of the registers..but upstares stays hot the lowest i can get it to is 85 deg in the afternoon and if i run the unit all day it will cool down to 80 at 11.30 pm..yersterday i measured the outside temp and it was 110 deg.. the temp at the ac fan was 120 deg.. i used a set of old manifold gages and the low side read 110psi and the hi side when you first start the unit peg the gage over 500psi.. then droped down to 495.. can my ac be overcharged.. what psi should i be looking for ..the ac modle number is 561aj048-f thanks for your help.. bye

Post Likes
    Call for service.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    hi iv had several ac tech out to look at my propublem... iv had it charged twice and serviced once .. still does the same thing..thanks

Post Likes
    Sorry, call a reputable company.

Post Likes
    could my system be overcharged.. does anyone here know where i can get the chart on the proper manifold pressures.thanks

Post Likes
    Originally posted by morepwr
    could my system be overcharged.. does anyone here know where i can get the chart on the proper manifold pressures.thanks
    Can you post the number from you EPA certification card? If not then you need to call a reputable company. It is illegal for anyone who is not EPA certified to hook gauges up to any refrigeration or A/C system.

Post Likes
    Utterly amazing! Gauges from eBay? Maybe he can find a "charging by pressures alone" chart there, too.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Panama
    Utterly amazing! Gauges from eBay? Maybe he can find a "charging by pressures alone" chart there, too.
    LOL, I want one of those charts too, it would make charging so much easier To the original poster, over 500psi head If this is an R22 system, you got big problems If it's R410a, well you still got big problems trying to fix it yourself. Step away from the gauges and call for service before you get hurt. If this is an R410a unit you need special gauges to handle the pressure. Gauges can blow up in your face you know. Just read an article on how Coca-Cola is starting to use C02 as a refrigerant in their vending machines, can't wait until they start using it for domestic units, hmmm 2000psi head pressures, sure just put a set of old ebay gauges on it

[Edited by jdenyer on 07-19-2005 at 01:32 PM]

Post Likes

Talking

Hey guys!!! I just won a universal EPA card off ebay. Does this mean I can play service tech now?

[Edited by w30olds on 07-19-2005 at 02:38 PM]

Post Likes

Talking w30olds

Yes, your the one who gets the service calls for all the e-bay warranties.

congratulations....

Post Likes

Re: w30olds

Originally posted by ruud-man
    Yes, your the one who gets the service calls for all the e-bay warranties.

congratulations....
    SWEET!!!! Now can someone tell me how to charge up units? [B]

Post Likes
    Are you the one selling the shiny teapot ???
    Some people just aren't smart enough to be stupid....

Post Likes
    hello ..im trying to fix my ac unit..i bought the house new ten years ago and it came with a bdp air conditioner the house is 1900 sq feet..im not sure of the tons.. i get 60 to 63 deg out of the registers..but upstares stays hot the lowest i can get it to is 85 deg in the afternoon and if i run the unit all day it will cool down to 80 at 11.30 pm..yersterday i measured the outside temp and it was 110 deg.. the temp at the ac fan was 120 deg.. i used a set of old manifold gages and the low side read 110psi and the hi side when you first start the unit peg the gage over 500psi.. then droped down to 495.. can my ac be overcharged.. what psi should i be looking for ..the ac modle number is 561aj048-f thanks for your help.. bye
    If you're reading 110 psi on the low side and over 500 psi on the high side you might want to run far away from that unit. It's going to go boom. Typical readings should be around 65-80 on the low and 225-275 on the hight side. Of course this all depends on the load inside, temps outside, and the condenser your running. Is this a heat pump, or straight AC?

If you take the outside temp and add 30 degrees then this should give you a idea of what your high side pressure should be running around. Low side pressure should be relevent to the high on the pressure/temp chart.

[Edited by w30olds on 07-19-2005 at 10:36 PM]

Post Likes
    forget what you just read and call a pro, if the unit is overcharged what are you going to do with the extra refrigerant?

Post Likes
    Psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sst.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by w30olds

If you take the outside temp and add 30 degrees then this should give you a "target pressure" of what your high side pressure should be running around. Low side pressure should be relevent to the high on the pressure/temp chart.

Oh, now that sounds like e-bay advice there.

"Prehistoric, outdated rule of thumb" I'm selling this rule of thumb because I no longer use it. I found out recently that it only applied to systems with cap tubes and low efficiency systems but figured some of you beginners might want an easy way to hack into the HVAC market. Beginning Bid.... $0.49

Post Likes
    With this high of head pressure you would be wise to call a service company before you loose a compressor.
    Things you can do.

1. Check your filter and if it is clean, over a month old replace it.
    2. Turn your system off tonight,say about 7:30pm and clean your outdoor unit,hook up spray nozzle and wash out unit holding nozzle about 10" away from outdoor coil section spraying water from top to bottom, all the way around your unit and then do it again. turn you system back on and see if this helps..

If not then better get help quickly before your compressor blows.The unit sounds like maybe restriction or bad condenser motor..
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    I smell a rat.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by docholiday
    Originally posted by w30olds

If you take the outside temp and add 30 degrees then this should give you a "target pressure" of what your high side pressure should be running around. Low side pressure should be relevent to the high on the pressure/temp chart.

Oh, now that sounds like e-bay advice there.

"Prehistoric, outdated rule of thumb" I'm selling this rule of thumb because I no longer use it. I found out recently that it only applied to systems with cap tubes and low efficiency systems but figured some of you beginners might want an easy way to hack into the HVAC market. Beginning Bid.... $0.49
    Ok expert what's your advice? I could tell him to check the superheat, or is that "Prehistoric, outdated rule of thumb" as well? Was just trying to give the guy an idea of where his pressures should be running.

[Edited by w30olds on 07-19-2005 at 09:53 PM]

Post Likes
    How long do you think the compressor would run at 495 head?? He's screwing with you guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in