Getting my boy a new bike - been looking at the Honda CRF250X for a while - well a kid we know rides MX and is on one of these bikes and told us you have to rebuild the top end every 12 hours - and this is a 4 stroke. Anyone else heard this?? To me that is ridiculous - and the bike aint cheap - damn it is expensive - but then that might be why there are so many year old used ones for sale. Thinking if the CRF230 doesnt have this problem then that is the way i will go - between the repairs and the large price difference between them.

Forgot to add that when i was picking up parts for my bike i asked a few of the guys there - everyone played dumb and said they would have to ask someone else - made me uneasy - like maybe it is true and they didnt want to own up to it.

Surely not on the 4 stroke

But 12hrs race time is a lot harder on the bike than 12hrs pleasure time. I can tell you the 230 is not as strong a bike as the 250X.

Why not look at an XR250 as another option? It's inbetween the 230 and 250X. The 250X is a lot of machine if you aren't experienced.

The XR is a option - he has his heart set on a CRF thats why I was checking into them - he said he doesnt want a XR but he will ride whatever i give him I just couldnt believe the rebuild time - so i have to figure out if it is the CRF250R that they are talking about - Honda is playing dumb when I ask them about it - makes me uneasy with the purchase. the CRF250X is one expensive bike!!! any and all donations are appreciated

Thanks for the info!!! Keep it coming!!!!

Well and XR400 would give you about the same power as the 250X but not the suspension goodies. I like the idea of the XR's for me because I am not trying to be anyone's hero and I like the tractor like reliability of the XR's engine. Though I can't imagine the X needs that much rebuild work. I know someone with a WR250 yamaha and they have never rebuilt the top end and he has ridden it hard for a couple years.

I'd say if your son going to be jumping it a lot then the X is probably worth it.

I posted cause I was a little confused as to why you were cross shopping the CRF230F with the 250X when the whole XR family was between those two. For the record I have never owned a dirt bike, but I have had a few honda street bikes. In fact, it's how I got to work today. The wife and I plan to buy dirt bikes in a year or two and the XR is high on my list.

Boiling Point,
    I suggest asking your questions on one of the many four-stroke forums, and getting answers directly from the guys who own and maintain one.
    Such as:
    http://crfsonly.com/phpBB2/index.php

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/index.php

Thanks!! looks like the place to go

I have got to get pics from our last trip - or even better - pics from the coming up trip and post them here - when we get the bike i will definetely post a pic of a kid grinning ear to ear.

I always wanted a pony...a shetland pony with spots on his rear.

Originally posted by jacob perkins
    I always wanted a pony...a shetland pony with spots on his rear.
    Yea....but they eat a lot, poop a lot, and bite ya on the ass when you're not looking (personal experience here)